Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to a J50BC

I love the PAF ceramic sound but it's muddy :think:

Leads are super rich and 'vowely' that i love, but heavy rhythms are not as well, gets loose.

Maybe someone has an alternative.

Well apparently the emg hz h2 could fit this

It's a PAF with ceramics

Comment

An emg hz h2 on its own won't give you enough gain. That's why Alexi and EMG made the EMG ALX; his signature pickup. It's an emg hz h2 with a gainboost (also a 3 band eq) it's modeled after the J-50 BC & JE-1000 gainboost. It will give you a great tone. This pickup/gainboost combo will not get muddy at all. It's Alexi Laiho's pickup, this thing doesn't understand the word muddy. Also: if you play around with the 3 band eq you can make the bridge pickup sound like a neck pickup, if you ever want that smoother sound. I would definitely go with the EMG ALX, or an EMG HZ H2 with an MM-04 preamp, which is essentially the same thing, but instead of a push/pull volume knob for the boost, the MM-04 has a mini toggle, and has a 4 band eq.

Comment

Thanks Richard. I think I'll give that a shot and see how it turns out. I guess a lot of guys say the Hz's are bad due to they think they should sound like their active counter parts.

Comment

You're welcome man, Also the EMG ALX kills an 81, you'll get the organic sound of a passive, but the gain and output of an active. I hope you like it.

Comment

I have a J50BC in a 1988 USA Jackson Dinky and it's not muddy.

Comment

Muddy is usually do to cheap electronics.A quality 500k vol and tone pot and oil an paper cap will cure a muddy pick up.
              Try Martin Six String.com or RSguitarworks.net for quality electronics.
              Jackson J50's are as good as any PAF style pick up.J50-BC is the ceramic version.
              You might try a J80-C it is a distortion class pick up J50 is not.
              Last edited by straycat; 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I was never a fan of Jackson pups. The last one i had wasn't bad at all, but the SD distortion i upgraded to sounded much clearer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Muddy is usually do to cheap electronics.A quality 500k vol and tone pot and oil an paper cap will cure a muddy pick up.
                  Try Martin Six String.com or RSguitarworks.net for quality electronics.
                  Jackson J50's are as good as any PAF style pick up.J50-BC is the ceramic version.
                  You might try a J80-C it is a distortion class pick up J50 is not.
                  No tone controls here. Distortion class?

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                  I was never a fan of Jackson pups. The last one i had wasn't bad at all, but the SD distortion i upgraded to sounded much clearer to me.
                  I really enjoy the PAF sound and I literally got two J50BC's a J50N and a J90C for 15 bucks.

Comment

J90c?

Comment

Originally posted by 197666 View Post
                      No tone controls here. Distortion class?

I really enjoy the PAF sound and I literally got two J50BC's a J50N and a J90C for 15 bucks.

I like them too. More so these days than back when I changed out whatever was in my new M1 for a distortion. I didn't know Jackson made PAF style pups lol. The one in my M1 was pretty hot.

Comment

Working...
                      X