Filling Truss Rod Cover Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling Truss Rod Cover Holes

So, I went to install a truss rod cover on my Model 4. Drilled carefully, but it came off a little crooked. After cussing myself out, I figured I'd ask here what to use to fill the holes so I can redrill. I figure I'll go ahead and fill the two holes from the old string lock, the old truss rod cover, and now the three I drilled today and hit them with some gloss black touch-up paint so they don't stick out so much.

I've seen lots of different methods discussed here for filling holes (ha ha! multiple entendre!). We're talking SMALL holes here, so I'm not sure if I should just inject super glue and let that cure and then redrill or what. You guys tell me the best way and I'll get to fixing it, I appreciate it.

Super glue followed by matching nail polish....

Comment

I like to fill these with toothpicks and wood glue and dry overnight.The trick for me is widdling down the toothpick sides to fit snugly in the hole, which I do with a single edge razor blade. After it's in, I cut it flush with the headstock face with the same razor. U can put some masking tape on the headstock face to help protect it from the razor.

The hardest thing is finding good quality round toothpicks. Most of the time I can only find the thin square ones, but the good hardwood round ones are out there.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

The only thing I worry about with toothpicks is the drill drifting towards the softer wood when I redrill. And since these are really small holes, I wonder if I should just hit it with super glue, since that would be harder no? What about baking soda and super glue?
        Last edited by SausageofPower; 02-20-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Baking soda and super glue is the way to go for those small holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
            Baking soda and super glue is the way to go for those small holes.
            wow, heard of superglue but never heard of baking soda and superglue. what's the function of the baking soda?

Comment

Originally posted by Wikipedia
              When added to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cyanoacrylate glue forms a hard, lightweight filler/adhesive (baking soda is first used to fill a gap then the adhesive is dropped onto the baking soda). This works well with porous materials that the glue does not work well with alone. This method is sometimes used by aircraft modelers to assemble or repair polystyrene foam parts. It is also used to repair small nicks in the leading edge of composite propeller blades on light aircraft. Note that the reaction between cyanoacrylate and baking soda is very exothermic (heat-producing) and also produces noxious vapors. See Reaction with cotton below.
              So...do I need water thin CA, or will regular Krazy Glue suffice?

Comment

^ I have had success with regular superglue (Loctite), but I'd use the thinnest that you can find to help prevent a mess. Fill the holes in thirds (baking soda, then super glue, in three layers). Make sure to pre-drill the holes once they've been filled, too.

Comment

"Pre-drill the holes"?

Comment

YOu could probably use marshmellow peeps to fill them too.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

But then I'll break the drill bit trying to redrill the holes! :P

Comment

I'd use a piece of toothpick and some super glue myself, but this isn't really a structural repair so about anything will be fine.

Use a pointed tool to mark the location for the hole before drilling, and the bit won't wander on you.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          I'd use a piece of toothpick and some super glue myself, but this isn't really a structural repair so about anything will be fine.

Use a pointed tool to mark the location for the hole before drilling, and the bit won't wander on you.
                          In that case, how to I do it? Cut down a toothpick, put it in the hole and drill it slightly and seal with super glue?

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                            In that case, how to I do it? Cut down a toothpick, put it in the hole and drill it slightly and seal with super glue?
                            Cut the toothpick to size, put some glue in the hole, shove the toothpick in there. You'd want to be careful not to use too much or you'll end up with glue everywhere.

I mean, in general, when drilling holes for precision location like a mounting ring, tuners, etc. you should use a pointed tool to mark the hole location and to create a "dip" the drill bit tip will fit in, and then it won't move on you when you drill.

This way you can also mark all of the holes and check (and re-check) they are really where you want them.

Comment

Great advice, thanks. That's just what I needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X