Removing/Replacing Inlays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing/Replacing Inlays

So...I was looking at the new Soloists that Charvel is releasing via the Desolation series. The Satin Black one appears to have none of the excessive abalone binding, but still uses those godawful inlays. My question is, how difficult would it be to remove those abominations and toss in some better ones (sharkies)?

Considering the fact they're about 1/8" thick, as are the holes in the board in which they rest.....ah go for it.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

How do you feel about stripping off the fretboard?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Pulling them would be the easy part. Then you'd need to pull your frets, cut new inlay pockets, put the inlays in, and get a whole bunch of little pieces of ebony to fill in the remaining voids left from the original inlays, get the surface nice and radiused again and refret it. Or, pull the fretboard, put a new one on, inlay it, bind it, glue it on, and then touch up the finish.

Either way, WAY more work than I'd ever want to do to a guitar.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thought that might be the case, but I figured no harm in asking.

Comment

Stickers?
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Working...
            X