Daisy-chain style power supply for multiple pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisy-chain style power supply for multiple pedals

I'm aware Boss do a multi-way cable, which is powered by a LS-2 or TU-2, but I'm under the impression this is strictly for Boss pedals only. Anybody use a multi-way power supply for both Boss and non-Boss pedals?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

In my experience, most Boss and Ibanez pedals, and Dunlop or Morley Wah/volumes use the same power connector. You can daisy chain a few as long as the mAs used of all the pedals doesn't exceed the supply of the supply. It doesn't need to be the LS-2. My Korg tuner pedal (can't remember the model, but it's the one that came just before the Pitchblack) came with a daisy chain connector that basically splits a regular Boss, Ibanez or Morley power supply into 3 connectors. That worked pretty well too.

Also, I've used one of those Godlyke power connectors I got a few yrs back as well, but it's somewhere in storage, it came with a bunch of different style connectors. Some of the MXR pedals use a differen pin-type power connector, and I think the Godlyke came with one of those.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I use a power supply and daisy chain from http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/, good stuff.
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I used the Godlyke 2000ma. Works great..
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I use a One Spot. It connects the following:

Vox wah > Boss Tuner > Boss Noise Supressor > Emma Pisdiyauwot > Fuzz Factory clone > Aurora Borealis Distortion > MXR Equalizer > TC Electronic Corona Chorus > Catalinbread Semaphore > T Rex Phaser > MXR Carbon Copy > Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. I canhave them all onat the same time if I want, but it never actually happens. The only thing I can't run with it is my Effectrode Tube Drive... because that runs at 12V insted of 9....
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

There are 2 types of daisy chains: The boss one just has the male connectors to run from a TU2 etc to up to 6 or 7 other pedals. The other (I have One Spot) type has a female connector as the 1st pin, this plugs into a regular power supply and then onto up to 9 pedals.

The only thing to watch out for is the total mA's used by all the pedals together. Make sure the total is lower than the output of the wall wart, power supply or TU2, otherwise you'll kill it.

The output of the TU2 is 9VDC MAX 200mA. If you have pedals that run on 12V or use more than 200mA don't try and use the TU2. There is also a difference between the PSA and ACA style power supplies for Boss pedals. Older Boss pedals use ACA adapters and sometimes the PSA style won't power them.

I use the Voodoo Labs power supply, which does all sorts.

Comment

Woot! One Spot is only £17 and powers upto 20 9v pedals! Incidentally, the Boss pedals draw 20-40ma each, its the Eventide pedals which are power hungry - Space pedal takes 1200ma!
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                Incidentally, the Boss pedals draw 20-40ma each, its the Eventide pedals which are power hungry - Space pedal takes 1200ma!
                Nope

Most of the Reverb, Delays and loop pedals are over 50mA.

Comment

i use a one spot with much success. i don't have many pedals, but it does do a bang up job!! i am using a vox wah, mxr classic distortion and an mxr phase 90. the rest of the little plugs are tied off and taped to the roof of the underside of the board.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I got a 1500 ma adaptor and made my own daisy chain with a soldering iron. Cost about $20 for everything.
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

as bratfink mentioned, reverbs, delays, etc can draw a lot more power. The Boss CE-20 draws around 300mA (IIRC). * nope, wrong. Apparently 165mA. But anyhoo, significantly more than 40mA.

Can't remember the brand, but I used to run a one-spot-type adapter that puts out around 1100mA. More than enough to power the pedals I was using at the time. I'm sure it still is. But I use a G-Bus power supply on a Gator board now.

I'd recommend making a list of your pedals and noting the current draw of each. It can help you track just how much current you need for whatever combination of pedals you are using, and ensure that you don't exceed the amount your power supply generates. I created a spreadsheet in Excel.

Oh, and check out the Power List: http://stinkfoot.se/power-list
                      The author of the Power List also has a page about power supplies: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

I use a voodoo labs power supply. My pedaltrain board came with brackets to directly mount the power supply so that's what I went with. It works well for all the pedals I use.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

If you are using a TU2 it doesn't matter what your primary power supply output is. The TU2 will only power 200mA; so if you have a 1200mA power supply to the TU2 you will waste 945mA (55mA to power the TU2 and the 200mA out the output).

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                            Nope

Most of the Reverb, Delays and loop pedals are over 50mA.
                            I was only referring to the MT-2 and ML-2. If I want any loop FX, I'm aiming for Eventide.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X