Pickguard relic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickguard relic?

Ever try to match an original old white pickguard that has yellowed/dis-colored over time? The options I have seen for off-white colors are cream and parchment. Man, they are not quite correct. Wondering if anyone ever tried to alter the color of a pickguard. Thanks.

Some guys I know put their pickguards and pot caps in coffee to darken them, giving them an aged look. Yes, I know But seeing some pics online, I guess it works.
    Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

That sounds like I figured. We need a little voodoo. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try it out if I can find a scrap piece.

Comment

...start smoking
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Funny, thats what it looks like, that old pickguard spent some serious hours with several cartons of Lucky Strikes.

Comment

I have a USA Peavey Predator single ply pickguard that I thought was originally cream. Took it off, and the underside is pure white. UV rays did it to this slab of plastic.

Comment

Thats what I have Don.Its an old white pickguard that turned color with age.The corner broke off some time back.I wanted to replace it and get close to that faded color as the trussrod cover is still good, but time faded.

Comment

It may sound stupid, but has anyone considered leaving one in a tanning bed for a while and seeing if that speeds up the proccess? It may be slower than coffee but seems like it would be more controlled, produce a more natural look, and the color could be more easilly controlled.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Thats an interesting idea as well as I'm sure UV had alot to do with it.Also the original is 37 years old, I'm sure the materials are different . I did leave it in a pan of coffee over night just for laughs. It didn't touch it. Maybe a week would be better. I think it's a time process either way. Now the damn pickguard smells like some cappuccino sitting in a small fancy sidewalk cafe somewhere ,instead of an underground metal club in Hamburg like it should. Thats it, it gets soaked in Spaten Doppelbock.

Comment

sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

Sat in coffee for a week (didn't want to waste any beer), nothing....Brown Kiwi paste shoe polish on a multi ply parchment guard. Craziest thing. Some old dude into vintage Tele re-work gave me the direction. So close to the old one , I can't believe it.

Comment

Ok, some way older than this old dude.

Comment

Throw it on the floor slide it around some then hit it with a scotch brite pad.then smear Kiwi brown with a rag then wipe off you would be surprised how good it will turn out.
                          Works fine on white and parchment.
                          This was super white to begin with but its way darker in person.The flash brighten it up so maybe not a great example.
                          Its grungy up close.
                          Last edited by straycat; 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

This was done with strings on just to see how it would come out.

Comment

Rust dust from an old can of screws and nails works great too. just wipe in on after the scotch brite pad.Small parts just throw them in a can of rusty bolts and give it a good shake and done.

Comment

Working...
                              X