SL1 DiMarzio Pickup Suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 DiMarzio Pickup Suggestions.

I'm using a DiMarzio Chopper In the neck position, and really like it. But I didn't like the JB it came with as much, swapped it out for a Screamin Demon, a bit better. To my ears the SL1 sounds too bright with the Duncan pups I tried, so I want to try a DiMarzio in the bridge. I had an X2N and a SD couldn't bond with either of them. I want more bottom end, not as bright as the Duncan pups with more sustain. I don't have much experience with DiMarzio pups, I have been looking at;
    1-The Breed.
    2-The Tone Zone
    3-EVO 2
    4-The Dominion
    What do you guys think???
    We will know for the first time...
    If we are evil or divine...
    We are the last in line...RJD RIP

tone zone, out of those 4

Comment

Super 3?

I have a Super Distortion in an RG550. I thought it was a Tone Zone becuase it sounds so fat.

Comment

Probably the Tone Zone. Might be a bit dark with the stock 250K tone pot.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I am leaning towards the Tone Zone, but I didn't know my tone pot was 250k, i will have to change that out.

What about the Evolution?
          Anybody use them?

Comment

Yep. I have one in an old rg570....I do love it yep...but I don't think it will give you the bottem end you want.
            its awesome for shred but I find lacks the "chuck" "chuck"..if you know what I mean....

EDIT: It does have TONS of sustain....I find.

I think tonezone....
            Last edited by dvscool; 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM.
            -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

IMHO the tone zone sounds too muddy in the bridge and lacks definition. My favourite Dimarzio is the d-activator.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I tryed a Tonezone for the first time tonight and really happy with it, its fat and full of harmonics and the lower strings on mute sound outrageous, its almost like this envelope of sound has started before you've hit the note already, you know fat and crunchy like that. But it does lack the overall tone and roundness of the Duncans.

I think he might find the Deactivator too thin sounding if he wants fatter tones. I got one in my 1" thick maple neck mutt as I saw Eddie Ojeda was using one, and it absolutely squeals, love it.

I also have the other So Cal pickup in the neck, think that is Evolution, it doesn't really do anything for me. Totally flat and 2 dimensional and a bit dry and without much in the way of tone. Didn't pop at all.
                Last edited by ginsambo; 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM.
                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
                  In my Stars SL-TN01 I have a '59 and a JB, that really sounds good, that guitar is a Maple neck-thru, and Mahogany body, the SL1 being an Alder body, the JB does sound different in it. I was considering the D Activator, but I was concerned with the high output being too much of a volume difference when I switch to the Chopper in the neck, that is sweet to solo with. So I was looking for something in the mid to high 300mV output. Its not bone crushing output I want, I just took a set of EMG's out of it. Something to go well with the sound of the guitar. I want to cut back on some of the shrillness the Duncan's tend to make in this guitar, and give me a a bit more bottom end and mid range. I'm also given the Norton DP160 a good look at.
                  Last edited by The Poolman; 02-16-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Try a Super 3 or Crunch Lab.

EDIT: Maybe the new Mark Morton Dominion? Looks interesting... May have to buy one...
                    Last edited by Grim; 02-17-2012, 01:27 AM.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Someone suggested a Duncan Custom Custom to me, either a SH-11 / TB-11 for fatter tones in a bright guitar. Have you tryed one of those?
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Got a Custom Custom in a 1988 ESP Horizon neck thru with ebony fretboard (bright guitar). Sounds fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Super 3?

I have a Super Distortion in an RG550. I thought it was a Tone Zone becuase it sounds so fat.
                          This! I have a super 3 on it's way to my house.

Comment

I ordered the DP160 Norton, looks like it has the qualities I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                              Someone suggested a Duncan Custom Custom to me, either a SH-11 / TB-11 for fatter tones in a bright guitar. Have you tryed one of those?
                              Custom Custom seems to be all about midrange. So much that it makes it seem like there isn't much bass or treble. Like any pickup, it's guitar dependent, but I didn't care for the Custom Custom in my ESP Horizon FR (maple neck-through/ash wings).

Comment

Working...
                              X