Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel USA Pro Mod's - Recommended Floyd height and a few dramas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel USA Pro Mod's - Recommended Floyd height and a few dramas.

The problem....

I've got a USA Style 2 and a USA Slime green pro mod with floyds which are riding on really high posts to get an acceptable buzz free action and I'm worried if I hammer them (Not with a hammer, I mean play them hard), then the extra mechanical advantage/leverage will start rocking the posts in their holes with time.

I thought, well what I've learned in the last year is, that non-recessed floyd's were more or less set parallel for dive only, maybe with a little pull up float and set at around 1/8" from bottom of baseplate to body. This is the way I have been setting them up on other guitars since I learned to use a Floyd. I have a wildcard 2 also, it is set with more float, tilted forwards, but the floyd posts are healthily pretty low - 1/8" between bottom of baseplate and the body, even if the forward tilt does compensate to get reasonably buzz free 1.5 - 2mm action. Anyway its ain't too bad all in all, apart from the neck chip/paint tear.... which is quite tiny.

I can only guess that the neck angle was machined way off for the Slime green and the Style 2 however, as the floyd posts are way higher. On the style 2, to get a 1.5mm action (Measured at the 12th fret with 1st fret depressed), with the floyd set to float parallel, then the posts are almost on the end of their threads, like its full 1/2" between baseplate and the body. The slime green is a little better, but its still around 1/4". I've floated the floyds more and tilted them forward to compensate, so I can get away with a lower post height but this is how it is... Well sloppy machining at the factory, I think they over angled the neck pocket, either that or didn't make it deep enough. I'm worried that I'II start rocking the post holes if I seriously abuse the floyds. In my honest opinion I would say that they are factory rejects....but I know for a fact that they are not.

How do they come set up from the factory? Parallel or angled forwards? Is there anyway to sort the problems, other than reverse shimming the neck, which always looks kack or, alternatively rerouting the pocket at a flatter angle, so its a little deeper on the heel side, which is one hell of a hassle....or will they be OK as they are?
    Last edited by ginsambo; 02-16-2012, 06:18 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

tl; dr.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I'm sorry, did you have a question in that wall of words somewhere? :think:

Around 1/8" to 1/4" from the top of the body to the bottom of the baseplate for the Pro Mods would be expected. Probably closer to 1/8", and it will be slightly more if it's a German Floyd Rose instead of the Korean one they come with.

Half an inch and posts almost at the end of their travel sounds like someone angled the neck pocket way too much.

Comment

Yeah that's what I figured 1/8 to a 1/4"... Oh dear.

Comment

I've free-hand routed a neck pocket from flat to an angle. I was young and brave back then

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
            Yeah that's what I figured 1/8 to a 1/4"... Oh dear.
            You sure it's actually flat in the neck pocket?

No shims in there?

Here's an OFR on a mutt I don't have anymore but because of the baseplate thickness and knife edge design there is MORE gap on this than there is with the stock Korean bridge.

The stock bridge should sit a LITTLE lower than this. Angle should be somewhere between parallel to the neck, and parallel to the body (my preference) I think, to do it "proper" with break angle on the saddles and give you some pull-up.

Comment

I haven't taken off the neck on the Style 2 to look to be honest, just assumed the worst as always. Previous owner did do a bad set up job - the floyd springs tensioned against a trem stop in the trem rout so everytime you play it or release a bend, the trem knocks.

The slime green is around 1/4", actually now I'e fiddled with it a little less, so I guess that is OK then, its the style 2 that is extra high. Will take off the neck and investigate. Could well be shimmed, can't see why though.

I freehand routed the end of a neck before with good results. If you're just taking out tiny bits at a time and have paint protected I can't see it being a massively big deal, especially with a shallow cutting bit, its when you plunge it and try and move the thing with force it rips across the paint. Be easy enough to rig up a guide and use a bearing bit. At end of the day the guitar is to play anyway. Like I said I really don't think the pro mods are collectable guitars, they are meant for being used.

Hope the neck is shimmed, maybe the guy fancied a high bridge or something? I kind of do find it hard to believe it left the factory like that.

Comment

Working...
              X