Strap Lock Screw vibrates loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strap Lock Screw vibrates loose

What's the best way to secure a strap lock screw so that it won't come loose? The upper horn straplock on my DK1 vibrates loose over time. Can I use just a drop of glue on it to secure it or am I looking at filling the hole and re-drilling?
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Toothpick and a longer screw
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

You can drop some super glue in the hole and swish it around with a toothpick, (this will give something for the screw to bite into again) but as mentioned, you can drop a toothpick (cut it down the middle) in the hole, glue it in, and put the screw back in.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thank you both!

Comment

Shit i just happened to have the very same problem occur on my charvel today. I was about to research this when I found this thread lol. For now I just tightened it.

Comment

I did the toothpick thing on my Squire affinity strat and it worked great. I used wood glue and not CA though. CA would cure faster. The other strap pin has come loose on the same guitar so maybe I'll give the CA a shot this time. (CA = cyanoacrylate = superglue)
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Jack!! A tiny piece of marshmallow Peep in the hole will tighten things up....any hole!!!!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Quit rocking so hard Jack!!!-Lou
                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  I did the toothpick thing on my Squire affinity strat and it worked great. I used wood glue and not CA though. CA would cure faster. The other strap pin has come loose on the same guitar so maybe I'll give the CA a shot this time. (CA = cyanoacrylate = superglue)
                  The reason I like the CA is that it's quicker, and even just dripping some into the hole can help. It works great on old bolt on neck holes, too.

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                    The reason I like the CA is that it's quicker, and even just dripping some into the hole can help. It works great on old bolt on neck holes, too.

Sully
                    +1

I fixed a stripped neck bolt with a toothpick and wood glue, and it worked great, until I took the neck off a few times (heel adjust truss rod.) Then the repair failed, the bolt would get barely snug and just spin.

Then I tried coating the threads with super glue like I'd read about. I put the glue in the neck bolt hole and pushed it up into the threads using a toothpick to smear it in there and then left it overnight once I knew the hole wouldn't close up, and it's been installed & removed dozens of times with no sign of stripping out.

OP if you try this just cut a thin strip of toothpick and coat it with glue so you can get way in there. Put some masking tape around the area in case you get glue on the paint (superglue on paint = bad) and get the glue up in there, smear it in the threads, let it sit overnight and I bet when you screw it back in it's nice and tight and doesn't come loose again.

Comment

Drill out hole with 1/8" bit.
                      Mix up 2 part epoxy drop into hole
                      follow up with golf tee tapping snuggly
                      let cure.

Re-drill new hole, install longer screw with
                      lock tite...Then Jamb your ass off!

Comment

@UpTheIronsJim... Interesting way of solving the issue! Note taken.

I'll say as like most above, did the toothpick+glue and it worked.
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Tooth picks and Ca glue should be in everyone's tool box.................along with marshmallow peeps
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just a quick follow up. Did the super glue trick and it worked great at rehearsals tonight. I only used a tiny bit and my strap lock is firmly in place. Thanks for the tips. If it ever gets worse again I'll add the tooth pick.

Comment

Working...
                            X