Anyone every done...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone every done...

I have a couple of low-end bolt-ons sitting here I can afford to fuck up if it doesn't go right and was wondering if anyone has ever permanently set the neck on a bolt-on? I was thinking of trying it then perhaps reshaping the heel area. Is it possible without losing the integrity of the joint?
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

I think I remember a thead way back were someome made a 22 fret bolt on RR into a 24 fret glued in. They had to lose the neck pickup.
    Last edited by DonP; 02-12-2012, 11:02 AM. Reason: Fixed for Ron

Comment

If you're trying to make upper-fret access better, shave down the flattened shoulders of the neck heel rather than compromise the structural integrity of the body/neck joint.

However, there are several alternatives:

You could fill the pocket with epoxy and set the neck into it, but then all you're really losing is the neckplate. Even then, I don't hink I'd want it without the bolts.

You could also dovetail the pocket and then mount a matching joint on the heel. However, again you're only losing the neckplate.

Or you could mount an extension/tenon onto the edge of the neck heel, cut off the pocket, and then epoxy the tenon into the neck pickup cavity.

You might also be able to replace about half the pocket with a thinner metal plate, however, if the body has a neck pickup, you're going to weaken that area of the body beyond belief.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        They had to loose the neck pickup.
        They had to unleash it?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Take off the neck. Counterbore the neck joint screw holes deeper in the body( slightly larger o.d. counterbore).. Get some washers with a countersink in the i.d. Get rid of the neckplate. Screw the neck back on without it . Do some creative shaping. I wouldn't bother glueing it, waste of time.Totally.
          Last edited by axmann; 02-12-2012, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Bolt on is WAY better anyway.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/485...Rhoads-project

Comment

Thanks Don
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

No problem. Too bad many of the pictures are gone.

Comment

Working...
                  X