Mahogany vs Mahogany with Maple Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany vs Mahogany with Maple Top

Does a Maple top on a Mahogany body affect the tone at all, or would a straight up Mahogany body sound just like one with a Maple top?

Depends on the thickness of the maple top. A thin veneer or anything less than 3/8 of an inch or more would probably not have much of an affect on sound. You could probably even make the argument that the stiffness of the glue used to bond the maple and mahogany together m as y have an affect on the overall tone.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

it will be brighter with a thick maple top, than just straight mahogany

Play a les paul, see if you like it

Comment

More blues rock chatter
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I've got two guitars that are identical in every way with the exception of one having a maple cap and the other does not. Both are mahogany neckthrough, ebony boards, same bridge, and the same bridge pickup (Duncan TB-5 Custom).

The one with the maple cap definitely sounds brighter than the one without, but both have equal amounts of mid and low-end.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X