Carbon Fiber Neck Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber Neck Rods

Has Anyone had a guitar with a carbon fiber neck rod, they say it keeps the neck from twisting no matter what climate you are in. Any opinions on them?

I am not sure it could keep it from twisting as twisting is a radial movement around the grain of the wood. Truss rods generally only assist with the curvature of the neck in a longitudinal direction -Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I've heard Carvin guitars USED to have them. Heard they stopped because it killed the tone.

Like I said, it's just what I've heard.

Comment

Interesting. Do you have a link? Several companies use titanium rods in certain necks.

On a related note, what's with the neck twisting/warping theme around here lately? Is this an epidemic that I'm unaware of?

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
          On a related note, what's with the neck twisting/warping theme around here lately? Is this an epidemic that I'm unaware of?
          Well according to one user it has to be due to the lack of scientific approach used when making a guitar
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
            Interesting. Do you have a link? Several companies use titanium rods in certain necks.

Here's just a link from the website who sells them: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_ro...eviews#reviews

Comment

KxK uses them on most of theirs guitars.

Comment

Doesn't the Dominion use carbon rods in the neck too?
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                  Well according to one user it has to be due to the lack of scientific approach used when making a guitar
                  Let me run that by the R&D department and I'll get back to you.

Comment

Ibanez Wizards I thought have them or had them.

Comment

Yeah the Japanese Mark Morton dominions have carbon rods, I believe this is due to the unfinished mahogany neck being less stable than a finished neck or maple.

Mahogany will tend to warp more compared to Maple, another way around this is to make the neck 3-piece and arrange the pieces so the grains run in different ways so if they do warp they work against each other (and the glue) and the neck will be more stable because of it

To me unless the neck is unfinished or very thin (or both), there is no need to bother. Maybe it will mean you will not have to adjust the truss rod as much

Comment

Not super necessary, but if I won't build figured maple necks without them.

I've also heard from builders that I respect that it's a bit of a tone kill, but that can be subjective. I can see it to an extent, because you've got the rout for the truss rod, and now two additional channels for the carbon rods.

Sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree with the slight tone kill. Its the price you pay for either a super thin profile or as Sully says wood with lots of figure which is wierded out wood in the first place thus all the grain abnormalities and stress already inherent to the wood.

Comment

Working...
                          X