Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn these import nuts and necks! How to plug and redrill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn these import nuts and necks! How to plug and redrill?

Ok, I tried swapping my DK2's chrome hardware with gold (looks good with the purple body). Everything is fine except the nut. The action was always high, so I ground and ground and ground it down.

But then I noticed something - when I put the nut on and put the screws in, at first it sat correct in the slot, but as I tighten the screws, the nut got pulled backwards and started angling upward! The issue is the holes for the screws are not in the right place.

So, I need tips on filling the holes and re-drilling. I took a half-asses attempt and tried match sticks, but the wood was too soft so the drill "floated" into the soft wood. What can I fill these holes with that's about the same hardness as rosewood so that I can get a good pair of mount holes drilled?

I used some little craft dowels and super glue, it held fine.

Comment

I shim nuts on my guitars and I run into this problem a lot. The best way (which I got from Dale Erlewine) is the baking soda and super glue trick, since the holes are rather small. Fill the holes a third full with baking soda, followed by a drop of water thin super glue. Let it set for a few minutes and repeat until it's filled. Then pre-drill the hole, sand the nut shelf flat and you're good to go.

Comment

Working...
      X