help with mandolin tuning....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with mandolin tuning....

Ok, so I just bought a mandolin and my 200 yr old tuner finally crumbled to dust. I downloaded DaTuner for Android but here's the problem...it shows little numbers after the note, A4 and such, all the way up to 5...???
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Ok, according to wikipedia, the mandolin is tuned to G3, D4, A4, E5. Now ya know.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

yeah, this doesn't sound right either.....

Comment

Paging hippietim, paging hippietim!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have a couple mandolins (one that is electric I plug into the Marshall Boya!). I don't see what the issue is. The strings are tuned in pairs. Just like any instrument, you can tune it to whatever you prefer. Go for an Iommi and detune it LOL!

Comment

...and make sure you post a video of you playing "Stone'enge"

"And how they danced, the little children of Stonehenge"...
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

apparently you can't just tune to a guitar tuner. The only octave that is the same is G....I think. I thought this would be easier, lol.

Comment

Use a tuner with the ability to tune to Hz (there is one called PitchPerfect for PC), and tune to those if you don't understand tuning to pitch notation. Standard mandolin tuning is as follows:

G (lowest string): 196.00 Hz
                D: 293.66 Hz
                A: 440.00 Hz
                E: 659.25 Hz

Comment

Working...
                X