Need help with string clamp replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with string clamp replacement

I recently acquired a Jackson/Charvel mutt- It's a Charvel 375 Deluxe body with a King V Std. Professional neck. It's missing the string clamps and screws on the locking nut and I'm not sure where to get them. According to audiozone site this neck came with the JT-580 trem system. I have a set of Schaller clamps but they are a bit too big. I've done some searching on the net but can't seem to verify which clamps are for the JT-580. Can one of you experts point me in the right direction? It would be much appreciated!! The nut is 43mm wide BTW.

Maybe this could help?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...cking_Nut.html
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

You're honestly better off getting a new nut. Go to eBay and search for "floyd rose r3 xxxxx" where xxxxx is whatever color you need.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
        You're honestly better off getting a new nut. Go to eBay and search for "floyd rose r3 xxxxx" where xxxxx is whatever color you need.
        Meh, I've had so many issues replacing nuts because of the new nut being too high.

I do agree to buy a nut just to get the string locks. Someone was selling a chrome nut for $10 shipped and that's cheaper than StewMac because of the $25 min and $7 ship.

I've never had string clamps that didn't interchange with other nuts before, so that's a new one on me. At least I think I've swapped them around before.

To the OP, if you get a new nut for the clamps and screws, just make sure it's a Schaller or an OFR nut.

Comment

Like I said, I have a set of Schaller clamps and screws that I ordered from stewmac before (same as link above) which are the ones that are too big.

I'd really like to avoid replacing the nut as I like my action the way it is. I do realize that I'll probably have to buy the whole nut assembly just to get the clamps and screws, I just need to know how to verify that I'm getting the correct size.

Comment

I always have to tweak mine anyway, so I have a fuckton of various thickness metal shims. Also, every R3 nut I've ever had is exactly the same height. I do know however, from others experiences, that they CAN vary. Perhaps I've just been lucky.
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Ok well since no one is sure I ordered a R3 nut off ebay for $8 shipped. I'm pretty sure the clamps won't fit but hopefully the whole unit will. Hope it's not a POS for $8.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well crap and crap. Just got my new nut in the mail today and not only are the string clamps too big (which I figured) but the screw holes for the nut do not quite align with my neck.

What I think I will do is just trim down the new string clamps until they fit into the stock nut. Unless someone can still point me to the right size clamps??

Comment

Originally posted by 8400RPM View Post
                  Well crap and crap. Just got my new nut in the mail today and not only are the string clamps too big (which I figured) but the screw holes for the nut do not quite align with my neck.

What I think I will do is just trim down the new string clamps until they fit into the stock nut. Unless someone can still point me to the right size clamps??
                  LOL! I still have a DK2 down for the 10 count because I'm still fighting the nut as well. I am stupid stupid stupid for trying to change out the chrome hardware for gold. I've finally thrown in the towel and decided to fill and re-drill the holes for the locking nut. My holes are not only offset, but they are too far back. When I tighten them, they pull the nut up at an angle (it no longer sits flush against the neck). In fact, I have a pair of bend mounting screws from trying to force them to work. Look for a new thread in the tech section.

Comment

Working...
                  X