J50bc wiring opposite of duncan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J50bc wiring opposite of duncan?

Hey guys, i took the j50 out of my model 4, and well, it just doesnt look right without it. however i had the same problem on it that i ha a few days ago with the dinky. sitch the hum on with one of the scs and the sound goes flat and the volume drops out. i noticed that it was wired black/hot, red and white together and green/bare ground. this is exactly the way i had to wire up the jb in my dk2 to fix the problem, so i know that seymour made these for jc, but would the wiring be reversed to get the sound im after? like green hot black with bare? or would that make it worse. Im a pretty big fan of the bridge/mid combo when im clean or lightly overdriven. i just cant handle being way down on volume and then kick to the bridge and have my ears destroyed. plus the tone suffers and we all know what a pain it is to have shitty tone
    Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

It's a phase issue with the middle pu. Use the green for hot. Red and white together and black and bare for ground.

Comment

ahh so i was thinking right. thanks man. just wante to confirm that before i tore into it. i hate doing something for no reason or worse having to do it twice
      Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonkellyfreak View Post
        so i know that seymour made these for jc
        huh?

J/C told Seymour FU and decided to make their own pickups back then. They even stole Fender's #1 single coil winder, that (Abigail Yarba?) woman.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          huh?

J/C told Seymour FU and decided to make their own pickups back then. They even stole Fender's #1 single coil winder, that (Abigail Yarba?) woman.
          really? i had always been told that duncan made the hums and singles in all the charvels and jacksons that had the jackson logo on it. learn something ew every day i guess

Comment

I don't know how old you are, but Jackson used to market their pickups in boxes with a yellow crackle guitar on the cover. Direct competition to Seymour Duncan. That marketing hype brain washed me into thinking they were something magical. I never had the dough back then to buy a set.

Comment

I don't know how old you are, but Jackson used to market their pickups in boxes with a yellow crackle guitar on the cover. Direct competition to Seymour Duncan. That marketing hype brain washed me into thinking they were something magical. I never had the dough back then to buy a set.
              At the end of the run of making the Jackson Electronics pickups I walked into the Sherman Oaks, CA Guitar Center (at it's original location) and they had a table with lots of boxes of these pickup sets, blowing them out for stupid low pricing of like $10 to $15 a set if I remember. On the same table they were also blowing out sets of the active Reflex pickups to. Those were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                Those were the days!
                LOL! Yes, they were. That must have been around the "grunge era" when you couldn't give metal gear away

Comment

born in 84. but i grew up with a 13 year older than me sister so all i got exposed to was def lep, ratt, slaughter etc etc. and it reflects today because i wont touch anything but rock. mainly 80s hair metal. i thank my sister so much for bringing home a def leppard vhs with all their vids on it. seeing phil collen with all those jacksons made me decide right then and there i wanted to play guitar. couple years later, i got my first one. and also thanks to him i fell in love hard for jacksons

Comment

I have found wiring diags for early Jackson pickups that show the black as hot, but then taken apart original Jackson guitars (wide pickups) and found them with the green to hot. I have also found wiring diags for the new jackson pickups showing them the same as SD (green = hot), but then taken apart newer jackson guitars (small pickups) and found them wired with the black to hot.

Beats the shit outta me!

My question is: If it's a phase issue, how do you measure the phase angle of each pickup? And what happens if a pickup is not a straight 90 out of phase?

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                      I have found wiring diags for early Jackson pickups that show the black as hot, but then taken apart original Jackson guitars (wide pickups) and found them with the green to hot. I have also found wiring diags for the new jackson pickups showing them the same as SD (green = hot), but then taken apart newer jackson guitars (small pickups) and found them wired with the black to hot.

Beats the shit outta me!

My question is: If it's a phase issue, how do you measure the phase angle of each pickup? And what happens if a pickup is not a straight 90 out of phase?
                      idk on seymour duncans, but i have an ibanez s470 that as dimarzio evolutions in it, hsh, and it was on a weird phase. talk about terrible in between tone. yuck. took forever to figure out but weird phasing is usually a backward wiring or just having one coil wired. on the d-zo pickups i made the mistake of wiring them up like sd pickups. turns out its black and white that get soldered together. red and green are the leads. why cant they standardize stuff like that? modern floyds are standardized, as are lots of other things outside the guitar world. aviation is a big one to use it. hell ive seen emgs with a 3 wire hook up. the hell?

Comment

http://www.guitar-repairs.co.uk/guit...lour_codes.htm
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I guess still no-one understands what I am trying to say!

Jackson is shown in that list as opposite to SD. But at some point they changed! I think it happened when they stopped making the wide pickups, but I don't know for sure. And no-one else seems to believe me

Comment

oh i gotcha man, it varies because of the out of phase stuff. idk why anyone in their right mind would like the out of phase but people do. diff guitars equipped with the same pickups will be wired differently. like my kramer and my peavey. both have identical p/us but the kramer has the green to hot and the peavey black. im guessing however that the mid on the kramer is reverse wound/reverse polarity because it sounds damn good with no volume drop with the mid bridge switches on, and no vol drop at all when all three mini switches are on. i believe you because ive seen hundreds of guitars wired hundreds of ways. a buddy of mine ran dual hums on a cheapo epiphone special 2, and he was a hardcore strat guy, so he actually isolated one coil each on some dimarzios, and ran the white to hot and green to ground or something. sounded like well, a strat. not quite but it had bite to it. in between kinda sounded like an old tele that still had its original pickups. off topic slightly but i wonder what a h/h/h would sound like in the mid/bridge position? chimey and God help me for saying...clucky, or muddy and shitty? never had a 3 hum guitar but im thinkin its time to break out the dremel and get to work on this squier strat that my buddy gave me. hell all my starts are squiers anyway, so theres no point in having another 3 sc guitar around. ohhhh, but speaking of, i wanna get this off my chest. being that this is a j/c forum, there may not be much interest, but if anyone is into hendrix, eric johnson or any old strat player, the secret to that tone is low output s/c pickups. squier has em. they nail the tone once you jumper the bridge to the tone pot. good setup and adjustments here and there is all it takes to make a squier put a mim strat to shame lol.
                            Last edited by jacksonkellyfreak; 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X