Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Studio Guys, in Here...Paging Moshy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Studio Guys, in Here...Paging Moshy...

So I started my own home recording project again. Been here, done this before. The game has changed since I first started doing home recordings. I havent been serious with it in 6 maybe 7 years. Theres new, more affordable options available now and Im not sure which way to go.

1. USB/Fire Wire interface: Which one is the best for under $200? I did have my sights on the Line6 Toneport UX2 mainly because it came with POD Farm. The $199 is a plus too. BUT, I downloaded the free version of POD Farm to give it a whirl, and Im not impressed at all with the sound of the amp models it came with, and if POD Farm as a whole is like this, then Ill be looking for other options for a interface.

2. Amp sim software or real guitars?: As stated above, so far Im not impressed with POD Farm. My Mac that I will be getting will have amp sims built into it through Garage Band. On the Mac website, the sound clips sound decent. Are there any other amp sim programs I should look into or that you would recommend? I have been using the cab sim line out on my Line6 head, which sounds fine, but having the amp sim program would enable me to record virtually anywhere, not just in the bedroom. Im really wanting to stay away from actually micing the cab because of the noise I would be making and the time involved in getting mic placement right, etc..

3. DAW software: Currently Im using Kristal Audio Engine and Audacity(for MP3 conversion only). There is no version of KAE for Mac,so Ill have to move on once the Mac gets here. Mac comes with Garage band, which Im sure will do what I need it to, but from what I can tell, its not a full function DAW like I normally use. Mac does have Logic Pro($199 extra), which is a consideration so far, but what are my other options in the $200-$300 range(or less if its out there)? I noticed a lot of the other available cheap DAWs are up to 16 track, which KAE is also, but Ive run into that limit before and had to export tracks to make room for new ones and had to use another DAW to actually mix more than 16 tracks at once. Id like to have unlimited tracks or at least 25, does this exist for the price Im looking for(LP is supposedly unlimited).

4. Drum sequencer software: HEY MOSHY, this is where you come in. Which one is it youre using? Does anyone else have a suggestion? Im currently using Hydrogen, but its a beta for Windows AND Mac, and is rather limited in the different drum samples and sound quality.

5. Headphones: Whats the best for under $100? Honestly, Id rather have monitors, but part of my goal here is to be discrete in a house shared with others, and again, portability.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

2) I've used GarageBand for the last couple of years. When I first started, I was quite impressed (certainly better than the Roland Cube I'd been using previously). Since I got my valve amp up and running, though, I've got more picky and found the GarageBand sims severely lacking. I doubt you'll be satisfied. It is convenient, however.
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

Firewire for sure. DO NOT GET A USB INTERFACE!!! It's stability and latency will always be an issue. Same with external HDDs.

real amp vs. amp sims: either way you'll get better results by stacking tones. i.e. using different amp sims mixed together, or using different real amps mixed together, or mixing real amps with amp sims. The real issue will be adjusting the latency between the different guitar tracks so that they are in phase and not comb filtering. use a stop start section and count the samples peak to peak and use that to offset the other gtr tracks.

DAW: I like Pro Tools. But many people are really happy with Raptor. It's cheap and it does the same thing as all the others. Sonar is pretty user friendly for Windows users. Logic for Mac users comes with all the plugins you will need unlike most other DAW software.

Drum Sequencer software: Good Luck Bro!

Headphones: Try the AKG M150. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Metal guys usually use EZ Drummer with Drumkit From Hell addon..

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Sup?

I just seen this Twitch my man, I'm short on time ATM but I'll hit this later tonight.

MOSHON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Sup?
            Originally posted by Twitch View Post
            So I started my own home recording project again. Been here, done this before. The game has changed since I first started doing home recordings. I havent been serious with it in 6 maybe 7 years. Theres new, more affordable options available now and Im not sure which way to go.

1. USB/Fire Wire interface: Which one is the best for under $200? I did have my sights on the Line6 Toneport UX2 mainly because it came with POD Farm. The $199 is a plus too. BUT, I downloaded the free version of POD Farm to give it a whirl, and Im not impressed at all with the sound of the amp models it came with, and if POD Farm as a whole is like this, then Ill be looking for other options for a interface.

2. Amp sim software or real guitars?: As stated above, so far Im not impressed with POD Farm. My Mac that I will be getting will have amp sims built into it through Garage Band. On the Mac website, the sound clips sound decent. Are there any other amp sim programs I should look into or that you would recommend? I have been using the cab sim line out on my Line6 head, which sounds fine, but having the amp sim program would enable me to record virtually anywhere, not just in the bedroom. Im really wanting to stay away from actually micing the cab because of the noise I would be making and the time involved in getting mic placement right, etc..

3. DAW software: Currently Im using Kristal Audio Engine and Audacity(for MP3 conversion only). There is no version of KAE for Mac,so Ill have to move on once the Mac gets here. Mac comes with Garage band, which Im sure will do what I need it to, but from what I can tell, its not a full function DAW like I normally use. Mac does have Logic Pro($199 extra), which is a consideration so far, but what are my other options in the $200-$300 range(or less if its out there)? I noticed a lot of the other available cheap DAWs are up to 16 track, which KAE is also, but Ive run into that limit before and had to export tracks to make room for new ones and had to use another DAW to actually mix more than 16 tracks at once. Id like to have unlimited tracks or at least 25, does this exist for the price Im looking for(LP is supposedly unlimited).

4. Drum sequencer software: HEY MOSHY, this is where you come in. Which one is it youre using? Does anyone else have a suggestion? Im currently using Hydrogen, but its a beta for Windows AND Mac, and is rather limited in the different drum samples and sound quality.

5. Headphones: Whats the best for under $100? Honestly, Id rather have monitors, but part of my goal here is to be discrete in a house shared with others, and again, portability.

OK, Brother Twitchy, I'm gonna cover 1,3,5 all in one shot,,,For under $250

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxStu

This covers your interface, D.A.W. software, and Headphones,+ you get a good mic,, for those occasions when you might want/ need to use one... + mic. and USB cable.
            According to the reviews it seem there is a free upgrade to Studio One2 when you register also.
            this software has a good suite of plugins and a Melodyne trial built in.

As far as the Firewire vs USB goes,, they both have their ups and downs and have had great and poor latency with both,,but I tend to lean toward the USB 2.0 side.

If you don't do a package thing with bundled software,,Go with Reaper.
            http://www.reaper.fm/about.php

They have great support, great forum,they are always adding new stuff to it and listen to the customers, and someone from the company is a member on the Andy Sneap forum( GREAT SOURCE OF RECORDING INFO AND KNOWLAGE) and posts allot of tips and tweaks if you dig around and look for them.

Reaper is a free download for the full featured software, and when the trial runs out it doesn't cripple the software you just get a nag screen that you have to click off. But the cool thing is the license is only $60
            and is good for up to 2 full vrs. #'s

Here is a good Reaper vs Garageband post...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95736

(2)---As far as Amp sims go,, there are some really kick ass free ones out there like these
            http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

I really like the Engl one.

They also have your IR loader. and there are Tons of great IR's out there to use.
            Here is a good place to poke around for amp modeling
            http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/index.php?sid=a093494c9372f10436314bffb961d58e

(4)---- I use Toontrack Superior 2.0 and I also can load up my EZ Drummer libraries into it.
            the thing with S2.0 is tou have control over the individual drums like decay/ compression, built in effects in the mixer, and bussing / routing,,things like that,, in just EZDrummer the samples are already processed, so it is worth it to get S2.0 and if you want a particular EzDrummer library you can always load it to.

And I also use Drumagog for re-triggering in drum samples.

And there's a start for you
            MOSHON
            DAVE
            Last edited by MOSHWITZ; 02-02-2012, 10:46 PM.
            "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Thanks Moshy and everyone else. Mosh, I had considered that combo pack incidentally. Ive heard your recordings and if its got your seal of approval, I may just go that route.

Comment

Nice thread. I've recently decided to go 'digital' with my home recordings and retire the ole Tascam. Ha!

Just learning about IR (Impulse Responses). By using IRs you can go direct and then pick a slew of cabinets and mics and mic-placements. Amazing when it comes to direct recording.

Also you might want to check out: www.guitarampmodeling.com for tips, advice, etc.

Comment

Sup?

Beat you to it Pete but good call there is allot of good stuff there.

Twitch,,, That little package seemed to fit most of your needs all neat and tidy. My rig is a little more complicated, and I'm actually looking for a new interface since a guy has come up with some software that turns my D8B mixer into a 24 chl. control surface with flying faders and all kinds of stuff, but when it is in that mode the board no longer passes audio. I've started to really like using my DAW but mixing on a big board again, so I have to find a couple of new interfaces myself. but I have been eying that for a bit as an extra input or something I can grab on the go. seems like a good pack.

Oh, and thanks for the comps brother,, by the time I'm done dicking around with most of my recordings I still feel they just sound Mehhhh.....

MOSHON
                  DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post
                    Sup?

Beat you to it Pete but good call there is allot of good stuff there.

Twitch,,, That little package seemed to fit most of your needs all neat and tidy. My rig is a little more complicated, and I'm actually looking for a new interface since a guy has come up with some software that turns my D8B mixer into a 24 chl. control surface with flying faders and all kinds of stuff, but when it is in that mode the board no longer passes audio. I've started to really like using my DAW but mixing on a big board again, so I have to find a couple of new interfaces myself. but I have been eying that for a bit as an extra input or something I can grab on the go. seems like a good pack.

Oh, and thanks for the comps brother,, by the time I'm done dicking around with most of my recordings I still feel they just sound Mehhhh.....

MOSHON
                    DAVE
                    I tried to play that ripping solo you posted in the Jacksons in action thread sans the tapping. Failed miserably, so I stole the trill notes walk up for a warm up practice run(the part starting at :52). That solo kills.

Yikes.
                    Last edited by Twitch; 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post
                      Sup?

OK, Brother Twitchy, I'm gonna cover 1,3,5 all in one shot,,,For under $250

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxStu

This covers your interface, D.A.W. software, and Headphones,+ you get a good mic,, for those occasions when you might want/ need to use one... + mic. and USB cable.
                      According to the reviews it seem there is a free upgrade to Studio One2 when you register also.
                      this software has a good suite of plugins and a Melodyne trial built in.

And there's a start for you
                      MOSHON
                      DAVE
                      a wee bumperoo for this most excellent post. If anyone is interested, MF has this bundle on sale at the moment for $229. Plus they throw in a $70 iso pack. Unfortunately not available to us sad fuckers living OS.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...76028000000000
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

I have that setup. I have massive latency issues, but I suspect it might be the computer. I like the software, but you will need to spend more money if you want to master anything.

I was thinking of keeping the software package but going to the firestudio interface instead of the usb.

Comment

I'd recommend BFD2 for drums. I tried the Toontrack stuff and could hear hardware rattle on fast double-bass patterns. I've recorded a 13-piece kit with double-bass in an un-modified (not sound-proofed) bedroom of my drummer's house and did not get hardware rattle.

USB vs Firewire is largely dependent on the motherboard interface and quality of the respective OS/mobo driver for that interface. If the firewire is on an external (plug-in board) unit, it's only going to be as good as the slot it's in. If the USB stuff is built into the board, and not an external/plug-in card, you should have better results.

As for track count, if you're using only short clips in each track, rather than the entire track being filled with actual sound, put those extra clips in the empty space on those tracks.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cool.
                            I have the Audiobox USB and an Audio Technica AT3035 condenser.
                            Can't speak about latency because I have not multitracked yet.
                            But the sound is worlds beyond what I had in the past.

For everything else (drums, sequencing, midi) I still use an Ensoniq SD1-32 synth.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              USB vs Firewire is largely dependent on the motherboard interface and quality of the respective OS/mobo driver for that interface. If the firewire is on an external (plug-in board) unit, it's only going to be as good as the slot it's in. If the USB stuff is built into the board, and not an external/plug-in card, you should have better results.
                              Surely a USB or Firewire is not going to be affected by a being in a PCI slot? Since the PCI bus speed is much higher than either USB or 1394. Isn't that why the expensive interface systems use a DSP card in a PCI slot? Since the PCI slot is the fastest way to get data in and out of the computer.

I am using a Dell laptop, that is probably the route of my problems. On paper it is supposed to be really fast (XPS etc) but in reality it runs really slowly for everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X