Wiring guru's, help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring guru's, help needed

I am getting ready to do the wiring up of my project. I have this diagram here of the hardware, it a single/ single/ hum with a tone & volume pot. I'm using a 3 way switch for each pickup. I realize that I won't have as many options as with a 5 way switch and I'm fine with that. I think it's wired up right, I had some trouble with the mini switch logic but I think it may be right. Yes? :think:

Sorry if I'm not reading the diagram right, but are you intending to for your options to be having either the two singles or the humbucker and the middle single active at either side of the switch? Thats how that looks to me.

Comment

+1. I don't think you have that switch right.

It might work if you connect all three of one side to red, then each pickup's hot to the other side. Use a DMM to figure out how to route the wires but connecting the leads to the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
        Sorry if I'm not reading the diagram right, but are you intending to for your options to be having either the two singles or the humbucker and the middle single active at either side of the switch? Thats how that looks to me.
        No I want either hum or middle or neck pickup. I'm most confused about wiring the mini switch, I wouldn't be surprised if I have a problem there. I know that these are the on/ off states of the switch's poles given it's positions:

switch is up (pointing North)

0 0
        1 1
        1 1

switch in the middle position

0 1
        1 1
        1 0

switch in the down position (pointing South)

1 1
        1 1
        0 0

So I thought since the two middle potisions are always on that by wiring them together it would make the switch work how I want it. Should the pickups hot wire hit all the poles with a 1 in the position desired?
        Last edited by Sharkfin; 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Okay.

First, are you sure you have the right kind of switch? There are different kinds of DPDT switches, to do what you want you'll need the "on/on/on" variant. Allparts makes ones with the part numbers EP-080 and EP-079.

Assuming you have the right switch, it should be wired as follows:

-----------
          -N--|--0-
          -0--|--X-
          -M--|--B-
          -----------

So you have N, M, and B standing for the hot wires from the neck, middle and bridge pickups, respectively. The X is your out, connected to the pots. The last thing you need to do is use a small bit of wire and link the two remaining terminals (the 0's) to each other.

I'd draw a diagram if I wasn't on my iPad at the moment. But let me know if you have more questions.

Comment

Thanks for the info Argos, yes I do have an ON/ ON/ ON switch. So the way it works is that a pickup wire only needs to hit 1 of the 4 active poles for it to work? It doesn't have to hit all four?
            Last edited by Sharkfin; 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Yup, each wire only needs to connect to a single terminal.

Comment

Okay, i have another question. Why is the jumper necessary, the wiring of the two poles together?

Comment

Essentially, the jumper makes your double-pole, double-throw behave like a single-pole, triple-throw switch.

Comment

Hm I still don't get it... I'll just take the info at face value and wire it up. Thanks for the help though! I do appreciate it. Should there be a connection from the ground on the volume pot to the ground on the tone pot?

Comment

I just finished wiring up everything and it works! I made one small change to the DPDT switch diagram as well as changes to the tone switch. Since I wanted the Humbucker on with the switch down, I switched the hum and bridge wires around from your diagram. With the guitar in the playing position, the switch moves North to South. I wanted the Hum in the south position so my picking hand wouldn't accidentally flip the switch. Now I need to install the nut and figure out what to install for a bridge. Thanks for the input

Comment

Oops, yeah, I was upside down. Glad to hear that it worked

Comment

Working...
                        X