Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG, the new X series, who has, tried, opinions plz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG, the new X series, who has, tried, opinions plz.

I have used EMG's in the past, mainly the 81 and sa's.
    I see the new 81x and 85x units out for a bit now and would like some opinions on who have, converted, etc.
    I am considering an 85x for the more "warmer" tone in a bridge position than the in your face 81.
    guitar~ neck thru, maple on maple neck, mahogany sides. OFR. The guitar is naturally "tele" bright, thinking the 85x
    would complimate better than the 81x.

what say you?
    >^v^<

I had an 85x in the bridge of my Model 4 for about a year. It was fine, but ultimately I wanted something with a little more high end definition on it (and also to go back to a more "near original" configuration, with a ceramic pickup in the bridge instead of alnico). I also upgraded my PRS Torero SE to 81x/85x from the 81/85 set. The pickups themselves are great, IMHO.

If you're looking for something less bright sounding, the 85x would probably work. Keep in mind though, the 81x has more headroom so if it's actually the clipping that's bugging you with the 81 then the X series upgrade alone might do the trick. Most places will let you exchange in any case if you don't like your first attempt, so it's win-win.

Comment

thanx. what I needed to hear.
      >^v^<

Comment

Working...
      X