Nut install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut install question

Okay noob question... I'm replacing the stock plastic nut on a project I'm working on. It's a Fender Strat, I have a Tusq graphite nut. I read the instructions, seems easy enough. I understand I may have to do some fine sanding to get the nut height right but my question is; there's a tab of material in the center of the bottom portion of the nut. Should it be filed off so it's flush with the rest of the bottom of the nut? The stock nut didn't have any protruding tabs, does it have a purpose? The Guitar Player Repair Guide didn't have any info.

If there isn't cut space for a truss rod channel beneath the nut slot, then yes, it should be filed flush with the bottom of the nut so it can lay evenly in the slot. Should be an easy job, they file pretty easily.
    Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Your old nut will tell you.

If it's flat, then leave the replacement as is. If it's got a curved bottom (heh), then remove the tab.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ok, thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it I just had my old nut and now I can't find it! No matter, I know it had a curved bottom as this one does. I'ts gotta be around here somewhere...

Comment

All this talk about nuts and bottoms..... I think my brain just had an aneurism. -Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Don't care about any of your nuts. But love me some rounded bottoms..
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
              All this talk about nuts and bottoms..... I think my brain just had an aneurism. -Lou
              Did your MIL took my nut

Comment

Working...
              X