Buzz/Hum from Stock Seymour Duncan Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz/Hum from Stock Seymour Duncan Pickups

My recently purchased RR1 has a serious buzz/hum issue. I'm fairly proficient with guitar electronics and poking around the guts I can't see anything wrong. I've checked all the grounds (to pots, floyd, jack), wiring, shielding, etc. and it all looks great. Fresh from the factory and never messed with great. The hum doesn't change with guitar position, or contact with any parts of guitar though it's louder in the bridge position than in the neck, and almost non existent in the middle position (maybe due to cancellation?) I'm at the point where I think I can only blame the pickups. Are these pickups known to be susceptible to buzzing/humming?

Is the guitar new? if so you can take it back under warranty and have it fixed.

if its not......

well..... that is a puzzler. I would suspect a ground problem or shielding issue first, but it you checked all that, then maybe you got a bad pickup.???
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Maybe the white/red wire combo is shorting out somehow on the bridge pickup? Odd that it doesn't change depending on angle/etc. It seems more like a defective pickup than a ground problem but this is one of those situations where you probably won't know unless you redo everything.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
        Is the guitar new? if so you can take it back under warranty and have it fixed.

if its not......

well..... that is a puzzler. I would suspect a ground problem or shielding issue first, but it you checked all that, then maybe you got a bad pickup.???
        It's not new. I had posted it previously. Picked it up from CL.

Maybe the white/red wire combo is shorting out somehow on the bridge pickup? Odd that it doesn't change depending on angle/etc. It seems more like a defective pickup than a ground problem but this is one of those situations where you probably won't know unless you redo everything.

I'd expect the output to be significantly affected if the pickup leads were shorted. The guitar still sounds great when being played. Even if I tap the bridge without playing to give it a bit of signal, I hear the hum go away until the bridge vibration damps out. It's very strange.

Comment

I could be bad solder joint on back of the pots. Unsolder the leads and remove solder on the pots. Then make some scrapes on them with screwdriver and resolder leads back.

Comment

no pun intended, but "sounds like" a grounding issue.
            a. what is previous mentioned, cold soldering on pot.
            b. ground wire to bridge post or trem claw.
            c. output jack soldering, cross grounding.
            d. cross grounding on pup 4 conductor leads.
            >^v^<

Comment

When I read problems like this I am so glad I went with EMG's quick connect system... that is all.
              sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

There's nothing normally noisy with SD humbuckers. The only noise I get is feedback, which is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
                  no pun intended, but "sounds like" a grounding issue.
                  a. what is previous mentioned, cold soldering on pot.
                  b. ground wire to bridge post or trem claw.
                  c. output jack soldering, cross grounding.
                  d. cross grounding on pup 4 conductor leads.
                  Given what he said about tapping the bridge, I think your option b. would be a very good place for him to start looking. I agree, it does sound like a grounding issue. check these areas murkat mentioned. Its seems like a disconnected ground.
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                  X