Open B has bad BUZZ on old Ibanez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open B has bad BUZZ on old Ibanez

I originally posted his in the wrong section, my bad eh....

So I have this 1989 Japanese made Ibanez RG570. I have had it since brand new. The guitar is beat and worn (road wounds), but I absolutely love it. It feels like family and has a lot of sentimental value. Some of you will know exactly what I mean.

The problem is the B string has a buzz (open). It has for a while. I can set the rest of the guitar up nicely, but the B will always buzz. In order to have the B not buzz, I sacrifice the rest of the strings.

I know some obvious things come to mind. The saddle or nut being worn for one. It doesn’t look that way but I could be wrong. I certainly don’t want to start throwing parts at it. I should probably know more about troubleshooting playing as long as I have but to be honest, I usually have sent my guitars out to be set up by a few trusted people I have used for years. I DO understand how to adjust my neck and bridge in tiny increments. Basic setups on a relatively healthy guitar I can do ok.

Where do I start? Shim? Parts?

Any ideas would be awesome.
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

All other fretted notes on the B string ring true? If that's the case and it only buzzes open, the nut is your prime suspect. Use a business card to shim it as a test. If it resolves, bingo. At least, that's what I try (after checking the slots for anything that might be causing a problem) before replacing a nut.

Comment

Almost all of the other notes are good. Up past the 12th fret there is some buzz, but that could be from me fucking with it so much over the past few weeks trying to find a happy medium.....thanks for the direction...I'll double check the slots on the nut and then try that.....
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Working...
      X