5 way switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 way switch question

I just learned how to swap out pickups recently, and I seem to have killed the humbucker post on a 5 position switch.

Is there anything I need to know when ordering a replacement switch? It is a HSS Fernandes from the 80s. It has passive pickups, 1 tone, 1 volume. On the switch there are 2 markings, VLX53 and 8H03.

Not sure if switches have ratings or anything else I need to specify, I've never had to buy one before.

Thanks in advance.

It should either be a Fender style switch or an import version. Both are five-way switches, but the solder points are different. Where was your guitar made?

Comment

Japan.

It's an old beater (my second guitar) that I wanted to learn soldering on so I could know what I was doing before I touched a Jackson.
      Last edited by Ward; 01-12-2012, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Make sure it isn't a super selector. Did it do coil taps or anything like that when you switched it before?

Comment

I'd just get a high quality switch. I think CLR is the brand - Stewmac just started carrying them.

Or just upgrade to a Megaswitch also on the stewmac site.

Comment

bratfink:

No, just a standard selector to do bridge pickup, bridge + mid, mid, mid + neck, and neck.

Nothing fancy. It was the second guitar I ever bought, back in 86.
            Last edited by Ward; 01-12-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I'd just get a high quality switch. I think CLR is the brand - Stewmac just started carrying them.

Or just upgrade to a Megaswitch also on the stewmac site.
              I saw the CLRs on Stewmac, but didn't know if there was anything I needed to match up other than number of positions and size. I know controls come with ratings (250K, 500K) so I didn't know if there was anything like that associated with switches, or if they are universal other than size and number of positions.

What is a megaswitch? I've heard the term, but don't know what it refers to. This is a guitar I almost never play, I just use it to try out new pickups (and practice soldering), so I don't need anything too fancy, just a replacement for what I broke.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Just go to ur local fender shop like a guitar center or Sam ash or Wgat ever u have near u. Grab a fender 5 way strat switch. They're about 10 bucks.
                Gil

Comment

I don't have anything local, so I'll be ordering online. That's why I wanted some advice, because I won't be able to talk to salesmen for info.

Sounds like there isn't anything special I need to know, so I'll just order whatever looks closest to what I'm replacing. I looked up the megaswitch, and I definitely don't need the capabilities that has.

Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

CLR at stewmac.
                    CLR is to switchcraft, CTS, OFR, etc.
                    top shelf
                    >^v^<

Comment

Working...
                    X