Fastfret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastfret

Somebody gave me a can of this stuff over the weekend. I have my reservations about it. Just how much good does it do? How much of a mess is it going to leave? I dont know how I feel purposefully rubbing waxy shit all over my fretboard. They get dirty enough just from my sweaty hands and tobacco smoke. In addition, how much is going to get stuck in the pores of my rosewood boards (80% of my guitars)?
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

I've used it for years (although I'm not as religius about it as some) and have never had a problem. It's basically just mineral oil.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

I used it a long time ago... never had any problem.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Me love long time. I have a can I bought in the late 80's/early 90's that I still use.

You don't really want to get too much on the fingerboard, it's really intended to clean and protect the strings themselves. Where it excels for me is it helps eliminate the "creeks" when you slide up or down a wound string.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Has silicon in it.
          Be very hard to refret after applications of.
          new frets never seat well after a silicon induced board.
          >^v^<

Comment

Great for strings (as Hellbat stated) - Horrible for unfinished fret boards (as Murkat stated). Just buy coated strings, lol.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I`m a bit worried to hear about this talk of silicon on unfinished boards... This is the first I`ve heard of this.

I use this stuff called `Finger Ease` (haha no shit) and I use a fair bit of it (have done for many years).
              It says guitar string lubricant on the can so I always assumed it was oil based.
              Has it got silicon in it? Have I fucked my unfinished boards?

In this part of world, at this time of year, it`s so sticky that I could hardly play a guitar without it.
              Another trick I do is get some 0000 grade steel wool and rub the back of the neck with it, I also scrub the inside of my left hand and fingers with it.
              ....but if you pick up a drink with your left hand and gets some condensation on it (or if you somehow manage to get your hand wet) you`ve fucked it and have to start again...

Lately I`ve also been just spraying the stuff straight onto the inside of my left hand... That works too!

Comment

Well, Ive heard enough. It will politely disappear to my house from the rehearsal space never to be seen again. Ive never found my fingers to stick to the strings unless they just flat need replacing anyhow.

Comment

I used this on an acoustic when I was a teenager. Eventually green stuff--looked like moss--kept seeping out of the FB. Haven't used FastFret since. Finger Ease is a useful product. I still have the can I bought in the 80's. It works well on strings that have been cleaned with steel wool.

Comment

I thought Finger ease had silicone?
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                      I thought Finger ease had silicone?
                      It might. I know someone who used WD40 instead until it burned small holes in his finger tips...

Comment

I use fresh, hot spoim..straight from my manbag!

If it can babies that shred..then WTF??!!...Right??!!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                          It might. I know someone who used WD40 instead until it burned small holes in his finger tips...
                          What????????????????????

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                            What????????????????????

I agree. When working on engines(or anything under the hood or under the car for that matter), nothing works better to get the grease and shit off your hands than WD40 or PB Blaster. Ive yet to burn my fingers off. Hell the shits not even flammable anymore. Spray that shit on your hands, rub them together, then rinse them off in the sink. Not a better hand cleaner out there IMO.

That said, Id never use it anywhere near my guitars, especially the PB Blaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                              I agree. When working on engines(or anything under the hood or under the car for that matter), nothing works better to get the grease and shit off your hands than WD40 or PB Blaster. Ive yet to burn my fingers off. Hell the shits not even flammable anymore. Spray that shit on your hands, rub them together, then rinse them off in the sink. Not a better hand cleaner out there IMO.
                              Like disolves like. A lot of the mechanics I've met claim pizza works best to get any residual grease/grime off of their hands that other cleaners can't remove. Hot oil in the cheese and sauce are great degreasers.

I responded to tonemonster on a PM. Here it is for everyone else: The guy who taught me how to play guitar told he stopped using WD40 on the finger board after it burned tiny pits in his fingers. I think he meant that he could feel pain in his finger tips, but the pits were too small to see. I wouldn't use WD40--Finger Ease is a good, safe product.

Comment

Working...
                              X