Anyone butcher 2 guitars into 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone butcher 2 guitars into 1?

I'd love to have a double neck guitar, but they're just too much money for me right now. I was curious if anyone has taken 2 guitars, sawed them to fit, glued and refinished to make a double neck that way.

Since I'd end up wanting a 12/6, how hard would it be to convert a 6 string to a 12? New nut and some tuners? Obviously over simplified, but would that be the basic idea or is there stuff you would have to do with the neck since there will be the added tension from 6 other strings?

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Seems like I heard that is how Paul Gilbert's double neck guitar came to be.

If you have the skills and/or money to get the task done, then have at it. Whether such an undertaking is worth it vs just buying a double neck guitar from the get-go.....only you can decide.

Comment

Well, seems like you'd either have to swap a neck for a 12-string one or somehow extend the headstock considering that on a the current one I doubt there's room for 12 tuners. Not sure about tension making the neck swap a requirement or not but it's something to think about. Then you're looking at a bridge swap. I'd think a stop-bar tailpiece would be the best bet. How hard or easy this is going to be will depend mostly on your skills or wallet but also alot on what body shape you choose to start with. I'm a big fan of DIY projects and would love to see this completed and hope it doesn't wind up as another half-way through and tossed or traded project. Keep us informed, hopefully with pics along the way.
        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

You'll need a 12-string neck because the headstock real estate isn't enough on a 6-string to add 6 more pegs (usually).

I would probably just buy a doubleneck body and a 12-string neck/bridge and have the body set up to use a neck I already have (like, fender-compatible, and throw a MIM Strat neck on there or whatever) but I don't know what your budget is.

Comment

Well, I'm just throwing ideas around right now, nothing too serious, but I would want neck thrus.

For the 12, I was thinking to have the other 6 tuners on the opposite end like this

Comment

that is one seriously cool double neck. that thing had to cost a mint. doesnt guitar asylum have one of those for sale for like $12000 or something?

Comment

Tonemonster, you're close:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACKSON-USA-...item3ef579ab06

But it is freakin' sweet...

Comment

Those 2 necks kind of look like he's behind bars. Hmmmmm.........

Comment

Ok, I gotta ask. Wth is holding the other end of the strings at the headstock end? I can barely make out something metal there that they appear to be fastened to but not well enough to tell what they are. Can someone fill me in please? (...and no I don't mean the tuners, lol)

Comment

There are holes in the head.

fdsfsfjkjew.jpg
                      sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                        Those 2 necks kind of look like he's behind bars.
                        IIRC Vince's release date was October 2011
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Better Picture...

htds64.jpg
                          sigpic
                          Action Jackson

Comment

Thanks! Love the "outside the box" thinking behind this. Things like this get the gears turning in my head (as well as my better half's eyes rolling, she just don't get it). I'm a firm believer that it's not always necessity that's the mother of invention, but often times boredom, lol.

Comment

I have always thought 12 strings with tuners on the body were cool as hell. I have always wanted one, but they are WAY out of my price range. very beautiful guitar though. I have a double neck, but its not in that league. I got one of those Rogue guitars that Musicians friend was selling about 12 years ago. they were asking $999 for them and they werent selling apparently cuz they kept dropping the price. when it got to $399, I had to jump on one. Its not a bad guitar.....in fact its pretty damn good for $399. It has a veneer figured top on it. mahogany body. I replaced the 6 string pickups with some duncans I had laying around. sounds great. and plays great. sure, its no custom shop Jackson, but for my needs, it does just fine. came with a hard case too.

here is a pic. this one is not mine, but its identical. I just found this pic online as I cant find the pic of mine right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X