Raising the nut on a POS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising the nut on a POS

Excellent action except buzzing on high open E string only. I just bought and installed the correct replacement nut as the original was broken and I'm pretty sure the solution is to raise it on one side. Being that this is just a cheap beginner guitar for my daughter (Ibanez Mikro) I picked up used, what's an easy and effective way to shim up one side?

I'm not TOO familiar with that particular Ibanez. If it is equipped with a Floyd Rose style tremolo, then I do know of a plastic nut shim that you can cut, to raise one side or the other. I have dozens of various thickness metal shims, but in a pinch, I've cut up an empty Marlboro box to use as a makeshift shim.

If it's a standard non-locking nut, then I'm not really sure how to go about it, other than replacing it with a taller nut. Or perhaps an uncut nut, if you feel up for slotting it yourself.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Yeah, non locking. I was really wanting to avoid cutting my own.

Comment

Then I'd say it's time for nut #3, and be sure to check dimensions this time.

Though you could just file the shelf down at an angle, and use a makeshift shim to raise it back up. That may not turn out as clean however.
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Fill the nut slot and recut.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yes, I've done this, raising it a hair by filling it with some 2-part epoxy. I think I used to use super glue, but liked the working time an epoxy gives. Just tape off everything else around it to protect it from the glue.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Does the radius of the nut match the fretboard, or is the high E way out of whack but the other strings are fine?

High E out of whack = fill nut slot and re-cut or else new nut, I've heard of filling the slots with super glue and baking soda. Do some reasearch first.

Radius is good = take out nut, and use some epoxy to build up height on the underside of the nut. After building the slight amount, file it flat. If you are cheap or lazy, you can glue some paper / cardboard as a shim, but the epoxy will be a nice hard shim extending the current nut.

Glue the nut back on with white glue. Never super glue or epoxy a nut onto the guitar.

Comment

I bought the nut direct from Ibanez for this model, so I would ASSUME correct radius - I'd buy a new nut if I thought the result would be any different, but I have doubts and the $1 nut cost $7 in shipping. Yeah I'm in the boonies and they don't know about postage stamps I guess. Buzz is just the E and little bit on the B which I will also correct.

Seems like if I just put the slightest bit of pressure on the string behind the nut, buzz is gone. I think I'll try the fill and recut first.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

If you have another plastic nut use some sandpaper and file off a little powder fill the nut slot and drop some thin super glue on the powder hit with activator or let it dry then file the slot.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian bacon View Post
                    Seems like if I just put the slightest bit of pressure on the string behind the nut, buzz is gone.
                    Hmm, the nut might be fine then. There just might not be enough downward pressure on those 2 strings behind the nut, especially since those strings have the longest distance from the nut to tuner and are most likely to vibrate sympathetically. Before trying the glue route, place a good solid rubberband, like one of those black covered ones for hair, and double it up and place it on the headstock, across the strings behind the nut. That should provide enough downward force to keep them from buzzing.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      Fill the nut slot and recut.
                      This.

Especially if it's not an investment piece. You can put a drop of thick CA glue in the nut slot and clean it up once it's cured. Easy peasy.

Sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                        Hmm, the nut might be fine then. There just might not be enough downward pressure on those 2 strings behind the nut, especially since those strings have the longest distance from the nut to tuner and are most likely to vibrate sympathetically. Before trying the glue route, place a good solid rubberband, like one of those black covered ones for hair, and double it up and place it on the headstock, across the strings behind the nut. That should provide enough downward force to keep them from buzzing.
                        Here's what I get for not reading all the way. This could be caused by the nut slot not having the correct angle. I'd still dropfill, then refile, but with the proper angle.

Sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yup what Sully said. Probably not a completely detailed nut and there isn't enough break angle
                          Gil

Comment

Working...
                          X