Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old vs. new pickup placement............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old vs. new pickup placement............

> Is there any advantages to placing the bridge humbucker closer to the bridge,where the pickup ring actually sits up against the front edge of a Floyd for example? I have seen several older Jacksons and even a few SD Charvels where it looks like it's actually sitting that close to the Floyd. The newer ones appear to be a little further away. Is this just a cosmetic thing or does it influence the sound. If so,what differences are there? Tommy D.
    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Re: Old vs. new pickup placement............

It will alter the sound, but not too much, to my knowldge. Its the same principle as the difference in sound between the neck pickup and the bridge pickup, only a lot smaller.

James

Comment

Yeah I noticed that too. It probably gives a little more treble but I doubt you would notice much. Who knows unless you try one.

Comment

The closer a pup is to the bridge, the brighter it will sound.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

True what Toejam said. It's especially like playing an acoustic guitar: strum the strings very close to the bridge and you get a sharp bright sound. Strum over the sound hole and you get a warmer fuller sound. Strum on the 12th fret and you get a really soft sweet harp-like sound.

I think the bridge humbucker placement further from the bridge is called "The Sweet Spot"?

Comment

Working...
          X