best solution for changing the volume knob location on my DK2M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best solution for changing the volume knob location on my DK2M

I just got an almost new Jackson DK2M, I love everything about it except how the volume knob is right next to the bridge humbucker.

If the volume knob was about an inch or two further back, I would have no problems, since I didn't have any problems with the volume knob on my strat. I don't think I can get used to this, it feels akward to palm mute the upper strings and I don't want to pick right in front of the humbuckers.

I've seen other members here take off the volume knob and make the tone knob as the volume knob.

How much will it cost for a guitar tech to do this, is it a very easy thing to do? I don't want to risk anything on my guitar if I do it myself.

And what and where can I get something to cover the hole? I want something really flat and small to cover the hole, so it's not noticeable visually and physically.

I want to do something like this.

What would be the easiest and best solution for me? Disabling the volume pot, changing the volume pot with the tone, etc????

In the future I might reroute the volume knob, so I have the option of doing volume swells and have a tone knob to use. How much will that cost?

Now had my guitar's volume knob placement was like this ESP below, it would not have bothered me and would be the ideal location and close enough to do volume swells.

What is Jackson's reasoning behind the volume knob location?
    Last edited by notesfromhell; 12-23-2011, 10:56 PM.

I think they do it so you will be forced to go custom shop to get the knob in a better place. :-) Honestly I don't know why they put it there. It bothers the hell of of me.
    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

It's never bothered me, it could be that i'm so obsessed with Jackson that i'm subconsciously willing to overlook the matter.

My MH-400's knob placement differs by 2-3mm, minimal but obviously enough to bug some people.

Hope you get over it or get it sorted without too much hassle or expense.

Those axes are incredible.

Comment

Youll eventually learn to keep your hand from hitting it. I never hit mine on accident anymore, and it hasnt affected my playing at all beyond my no longer turning my guitar down unintentionally. If it were farther back, you guys would be complaining that you cant do volume swells with it, so I guess its a lose lose situation.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

You could leave the tone pot in the cavity and put the volume there to try it out, there should be enough room for it. You could probably find a plug at a hardware store for the hole too. IIRC someone else here did this.
          "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Take a felt washer that you would use on a strap pin and work it over the shaft of the pot then replace the knob you deff wont accidentally turn the vol down.
            I had to get used to it as well.Not a problem now at all.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              Youll eventually learn to keep your hand from hitting it. I never hit mine on accident anymore, and it hasnt affected my playing at all beyond my no longer turning my guitar down unintentionally. If it were farther back, you guys would be complaining that you cant do volume swells with it, so I guess its a lose lose situation.
              My problem with it is the "anticipation" of hitting the knob that is awkward. Since I got the SLATQH and Broderick 7 I might sell my SL2H as it is sort of redundant now (and don't much care for alder) and the knob placement on those other two are awesome.
              2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
              Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

I just get a shorter bell knob, solid brass, black.
                Low enough to not hitting it with the trem bar,
                just big enough to tweek it with my pinky.
                >^v^<

Comment

Working...
                X