Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry neck?

Hey guys,

I have one of the American SoCals and I love it to death but I'm worried the neck might be a little dry. I live in NY so I'm sure the temperature fluctuation over the last few years of seasons changing have gotten to it. I was wondering if I should go down the humidifier route or just apply some oils or perhaps something esle. What has worked best for your naked maple bolt-ons in the past?

Best regards.
    "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Yep, northeast climes can be havoc on oiled necks. I had a humidifier installed on my furnace last year - seems to have made a big difference. I'd highly recommend it. (On general health purposes alone, guitar necks are a bonus. LOL)

If you can believe it, the dry air in winter is even worse for ebony fretboards. Nearly every single new guitar I've bought with an ebony 'board the last few years would sprout sharp fret ends within a season or two. J/C should seriously consider better kiln-drying their ebony stock for non-west coast buyers.

Anyway, as to re-oiling your dry necks, J/C uses gunstock oil. I forget which brand. ...Casey Tru-Oil, I think?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      Yep, northeast climes can be havoc on oiled necks. I had a humidifier installed on my furnace last year - seems to have made a big difference. I'd highly recommend it. (On general health purposes alone, guitar necks are a bonus. LOL)

If you can believe it, the dry air in winter is even worse for ebony fretboards. Nearly every single new guitar I've bought with an ebony 'board the last few years would sprout sharp fret ends within a season or two. J/C should seriously consider better kiln-drying their ebony stock for non-west coast buyers.

Anyway, as to re-oiling your dry necks, J/C uses gunstock oil. I forget which brand. ...Casey Tru-Oil, I think?
      Yeah the ebony on my SL2HT is already showing signs of Winter although it hasn't even really snowed yet. Thanks for the information, how would I apply this tru-oil?

EDIT: Something like the following?
      http://www.lowes.com/pd_88142-4-144....oil&facetInfo=
      EDIT #2: I actually have a woodcraft nearby, that's probably a better bet.
      Last edited by ekalb09; 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Well, certain members will say to slather some on your pud and smear that around the guitar neck. LOL

The "normal" ones of us will use a clean cotton rag, and apply oil. Don't use too much. Let it soak in/dry for a few hours, and then wipe off the excess with another clean, dry rag. It's that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Well, certain members will say to slather some on your pud and smear that around the guitar neck. LOL

The "normal" ones of us will use a clean cotton rag, and apply oil. Don't use too much. Let it soak in/dry for a few hours, and then wipe off the excess with another clean, dry rag. It's that simple.
          Very cool, thanks for the info.

Comment

Birchwood Casey makes Tru-Oil (gunstock oil), and can be found easily at sporting goods stores that have a hunting/gun section. Be careful applying it to a fretboard; if you slather it on and don't wipe it off within a few minutes, it can build up around the frets. That's a pain in the ass to undo. light coats. As far as the back of the neck goes, I'll apply the oil and let it sit for a few hours, then apply another coat, wait a few hours, then buff it all down with steel wool.

Sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

+1
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i live on NY too, ive found a quick wipe down with oil for the fretboards to work fine. I was told dont let oils sit on the board as it may loosen frets, i dont know how true that is but i haven't had any problems with oiled neck or dry fretboards, i usually oil necks & fretboard 4-6 times a yr. & yes a humidifier is very helpful, i have a small room humidifier going all winter in my guitar room.

Comment

True oil is just boiled linseed oil w/ some slight tint and drying esthers. BLO works well, I use my fingers and rub it in w/ friction and some speed to generate a little heat when applying. Seems to soak in and age the tone of the wood a tad, maybe just in my head. I redo my M1 and M14 rifle stocks the same way. works for me, probably all in my head. steel wool and maybe some 600 grit sand paper and smooth as a baby's buttocks. This stuff will also darken a bit with some use as well

Comment

I use the gunstock oil on oiled necks. I use a scotch brite pad instead of steel wool, it makes much less of a mess. steel wool gets EVERYWHERE. then I grab wipe the neck down with alcohol quickly to remove any grime. I do a light coat of oil. let it dry for a day, repeat. I get about 4 light coats on it. then a quick wipe with a scotch brite and a clean cloth and its good to go. I do this every few years.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Dry neck, I wish that was my problem. I hate winter time almost entirely, its redeeming value, low humidity. In the summer, in the case or not, strings rust up in days to two weeks tops. The LL wont put in a bigger CA unit, cheap bastard. 1300sqf house and the CA unit is a 20'' cube. Waaay undersized. Keeps the house nice and humid and hot in the summer. Of course, having my furnace in the uninsulated garage really helps year round as well. At least I dont live in an apartment anymore.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                      X