Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on parts to upgrade my soloist XL

Hi there,
    I have owned a Jackson for nearly 15 years now, and after recently buying a new Ibanez rg series prestige I have noticed my trusty Jackson is not quite what is once was in comparison. If possible I would like to replace the pickups, tone controls and possibly the bridge too (a more stable locking trem). The frets also need replacing in places.

The model is a Jackson professional soloist xl; Not the cheaper pro soloist xl, but the model with the thru-neck and shark-fin inlays.

The guitar still has the stock Jackson pickups, (one humbucker and two single coils SL3 style) It has the low profile licensed Jackson 'Floyd' bridge.

I would really like to have the guitar upgraded to give me that same thrill I get from my new rg series and once had with the xl.

Assuming a budget of about £800 to £1000 (GBP) – around $1100-$1400 US, what would other members recommend in the line of pickups and tone controls, (and bridge gear) to sex up my favourite practice instrument?

I really like the sound of the bridge pickup (Though it has suffered over the years) – it reminds me of Marty Friedman’s tone on Countdown to Extinction, which I would like to move further toward. If I may also attain the tone from new single coils to sound like Skolnick’s sound from Testament’s “the ritual” I would be overjoyed.

I usually tune at standard EADGBE, but I would love a little flexibility if I choose to down tune to BEAD(F#)B. I ideally would like a pickup combination that would sound good and not suffer in pushing out the low B in that case, though most notably with the bridge humbucker pickup.

As a strictly amateur guitarist playing for a hobby owning just those two guitars, I have little knowledge of guitar tech, and I am swamped by opinions on the net. Keeping a passive set of pickups, I have seen recommended Duncan’s, Bareknuckle’s and all sorts. Still, I would really appreciate all help on what I could best get for my money, for the sound I would really want. Pickups, tone controls, bridge.

Thanks guys!

Alex Connor
    (Jackson serial no from neck – J500168)

I'm not an expert but I would assume that unless the knife edges on your trem are worn, it should return to tune just fine... licensed or not. If this is the case you could look into just replacing the baseplate (it would be cheaper). If you are definitely looking at a new trem then that will be your most expensive addition. However, a new OFR or Schaller trem will do the trick and will most likely fit into your bridge route just fine.

Pickup-wise, if you're looking to downtune I'd go with a ceramic or alnico 8 humbucker. For duncans, the Distortion, Custom, and Alternative 8 come to mind. I just think that in general alnico V or other alnico buckers tend to get muddy when you're tuned below standard. For neck pickups I don't have any really good suggestions, I would put a single sized humbucker there, but I'm not too familiar with them... however, the hot rails is REALLY hot, maybe one of their more vintage sounding stacked humbuckers. Dimarzio ToneZones are sweet, but I haven't tried to downtune wiith them. Perhaps a Crunchlab with a stacked neck humbucker like the Air Norton S and a more vintage middle pup.

I hear good things about BKPs but haven't tried them personally, I would assume they're easier to obtain over there. I've always been interested in the Nailbomb, but I can't recommend it without trying it.

For the hardware, one thing that may help your tuning stability is a new locking nut. Hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new bridge. Other than that I can't think of much else. Just throwing out ideas.
    Last edited by groverj3; 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM.

Comment

The Takeuchi trem on there is a great trem just put some new floyd studs in and be done with it.
      Mine has taken years of abuse and the knife edges are in great shape the studs it wore those out so new floyd studs fixed the tuning problem.
      A very high quality lo pro trem IMO.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

$1100 - $1400 in the US would buy a new or lightly used guitar to replace it.

Comment

Are you sure that it's not a schaller trem already on there. I thought the xls had schallers. which ever trem you have check the blades also check the locking nuts to make sure they aren't grooved. If you like the bridge pickup maybe upgrade the pots and see what you think first.

Comment

Just more info...

Hi again,

the problem with the trem is that the low E doesn't keep as constant a tone as the edge-zero on my new rg. I really like that it is "looser" in that bends are (much) easier. It still keeps good tune, but I think there is a resonance in the springs or block that makes the low E less constant, (it oscillates though it keeps tune) - perhaps a new back brass block on the trem would fix it.

Since I would like to upgrade the pickups, need I be limited to passive pickups, or would swapping out the pickups and tone pots open up the option of active pickups? personally I have never owned an active set, but if it helps me get better higher harmonics from the neck pickup I would be delighted to give that idea a try...

A friend also mentioned I should possibly replace some or all of my frets too. The budget would be for all that, and the cost of getting the work done.

buying a new guitar in the UK is much more expensive.. I couldnt get an equivalent (as the xl was when new) for anything like £1000. The rg is very nice.. (but I had it shipped over from the US) but you would pay around double that for a nice new guitar in the uk. I bought the xl when I was 16 instead of a car for £1600, I am now 33, so I owe it a few tyres and a new exhaust (maybe some fluffy dice too).

So, Active pickups, a possibility? The brass block on the trem (changing), would it make any sense, or would just getting shorter springs do??

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

oops..

by shorter springs I meant I meant one with a higher coefficient of tension to extension - sorry
              Alex

Comment

Hi there,

I don't know what you mean about the professional/pro model distinction, as far as I know there was only one soloist xl, should be neckthrough (duh) and have a bound rosewood board with sharkies. In any case, the trem should be a jt-590 (if it hasn't been changed) which is not lo profile and was made by Schaller in Germany and is in essence on par with the floyd original in terms of quality. Looks like this:
                http://audiozone.dk/images/tip/jt590-05.jpg

If you're having tuning stability issues, it would be a good idea to check the knife edges and other bits as people have mentioned before, for wear.

Comparing the Jackson to the RG, I get what you mean, the edge trems seem to have less tension. How many springs do you have in the trem cavity? Taking one out could loosen the thing up, but you may need to put it back when going to lower tunings for more stability. If you're getting noise from the springs, try damping them with some cloth or tissue, or there are noiseless springs you can buy.

On pickups, if you chose to go active you will have to change out all the pots and output jack as they use different values from passives (emg includes all the pots with the pickups if you buy new), but you're considering a lot of different options at the same time. Try to define what you want from the pickup (more/less gain? more high? too muddy? etc.) and go from there.

Just to give my personal opinion, I would go with an air norton single in the neck and keep the bridge pickup as you say you like it. If that doesn't work out go active. I like EMG's on lower tunings but I can't say which model as it depends on the guitar. I have an 85 in the bridge of my Kelly, which is alder but I prefer an 81 in mahogany.
                Last edited by levantin; 12-15-2011, 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
                I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

tonal requirements

Hi again,

I'm totally confused as to how to narrow down the choice of kit myself so I can make a choice - hence the need for the post. Still, In terms of tone I feel perhaps the pickups I should be looking at getting offer a sound with more compression with a brighter attack. I find the lower notes a little muddy, I put this down to the oscillation of the low E. I will have the blades looked at when I eventually get the work done. - I use three springs in the trem, it is much more fluttery than the edge zero, which is much tougher to dive, and bends on the rg require more effort.

I love the mid tone of the neck pickup but the middle pickup has always been low on output, and resists sounding balanced when it's profile is changed. Towards the neck pickup, say the last two positions of the 5-way switch I would like possibly a little more gain and for there to be better higher harmonics, like hearing a more 'ringing' quality sound as opposed to the blubbery end of the scale, which although the xl never produces a blubbery tone, I would love for there to be that warm, clear sound with that pin to bell-sharp harmonic standing over the tone.

The bridge pickup is a little too muddy and I have always found that no matter which wah pedal I have tried, I never get enough of the contour I would really love to hear the pedals produce. I am using a morley bad horsie 2 at the moment and even with the contour at maximum it doesnt quite cut the mustard. Despite the fact that this is a problem I like the balance of tone but a little more compression to the higher notes and I'd be happy, maybe a little brighter too. If sorting the blades/bridge setup doesnt dramatically improve the muddyness this would be a godsend. I remember when I first bought the xl it really sang and impressed, I am a little unsure as to how much is age, but the wah trouble has always been a problem. I do however recognise the familiar sound on youtube of people playing jacksons with duncans and/or blackouts, and my xl produces similar sound whilst heavy riffing... but the brightness and clarity of the higher frets on the first four strings has noticeably doured.

About one year in four I like to downtune five frets on all strings, So thanks for the heads up that ceramic pickups may be a better choice. The bareknuckle models that seem to be appropriate are the miracle man, nailbomb and holydiver, in that order. Still, the quality of youtube audio does suck. They (BKP's) seem very expensive (and why not)- over £200 for one humbucker in some cases ($290). My only alternative to listening to youtube is to take a day trip down to london for the day, but from past experience there are few guitar shops, even around Charing Cross Road and Tin Pan Alley that have a large selection of guitars of the pricier type. Few guitar shops in london can afford the extra space and most order in on request. Locally there is not much choice either. I might have more luck near my brother's place after new year.

Oh, there was a distinction in europe between the jackson professional soloist xl and the pro soloist xl, the former (as my own) neck thru with sharkies SL3 -like, and the latter with bolt on neck and dot inlays. Im not sure as to the latters configuration pickup wise. but I nearly had a heart attack when a friend at college said he could by an xl like mine new for £450 (When I found out why I breathed a sigh of relief!)
                  I think the latter cheaper model was produced in some 'other' asian country for a lot less, I found a mention in wikipedia, but it's literally a cursory note.

Any pickup suggestions / ideas?
                  thanks!
                  Alex

Comment

Based on what you said, I'd go EMG 81-S-S. Actives will probably give you the bite and compression you're looking for. That being said, I can't give you a comparison with Bare Knuckles, as I've never used them.

Originally posted by haloeye View Post
                    Oh, there was a distinction in europe between the jackson professional soloist xl and the pro soloist xl, the former (as my own) neck thru with sharkies SL3 -like, and the latter with bolt on neck and dot inlays. Im not sure as to the latters configuration pickup wise. but I nearly had a heart attack when a friend at college said he could by an xl like mine new for £450 (When I found out why I breathed a sigh of relief!)
                    I think the latter cheaper model was produced in some 'other' asian country for a lot less, I found a mention in wikipedia, but it's literally a cursory note.
                    I think you're referring to the dinky ex (all "soloists" are neck through, the bolt ons with the same body shape are "dinkys" - no such thing as a bolt on soloist). In any case, Jackson was a bit vague with the pro/professional designations in the early to mid 90's.
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X