Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I'm feaful of filing frets...any luthiers in NJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I'm feaful of filing frets...any luthiers in NJ?

Thinking about getting a Soloist done. Below the 12th fret, things get a little weird. Some odd ringing when I fret notes. I thought it was the strings hitting the last fret, but the 24th fret does it as well. You can't really hear it when it's not plugged in.

So, can anyone recommend a solid tech or luthier in NJ that can handle fret work? I know of Bill Baker at Dave's Sound and The gentleman at Frettech, but was hoping for one or two more suggestions from folks that actually had work done like this, or a complete fret level.

I would really love to take it on myself, but have far too much going on right now, which is compounded by a general lack of initiative when it comes to projects like these.

Thanks!
    Paul

I would highly recommend Bill Baker or Paul Unkert down in Toms River

Comment

Thanks Dobie. I recognize the name Paul Unkert from somewhere. A quick search indicates he makes his own guitars. I'll give him a call tomorrow, but I do have concerns about conflicting interests (makes his own guitar, doesn't want a competing brand playing as well as his own). Have you had any work done by him recently (in the last year)?

Comment

Originally posted by Xyrium View Post
        Thanks Dobie. I recognize the name Paul Unkert from somewhere. A quick search indicates he makes his own guitars. I'll give him a call tomorrow, but I do have concerns about conflicting interests (makes his own guitar, doesn't want a competing brand playing as well as his own). Have you had any work done by him recently (in the last year)?
        I would call him, not sure if he still has that company, UNK Guitars. He's a great guy and does top shelf work and he's always busy which is a good sign. I would to continue using him myself but I live 90 minutes away..

Comment

I hit him up on his Facebook page (which annoys me) and no response. I'll give him a call as you've suggested. Thanks again! Happy New Year folks.

Comment

Paul is not a computer guy and that Facebook page is not his. I was just down at his shop (works out of his home now)

You may know his name because he is the guy who built Eddie Van Halens Frankenstrats. He still builds and repairs guitars for many high profile clients as well as the regular player. I just had my acoustic set up by him a couple days ago. I got it back in one day and it went from playing like crap ready to throw it away to an awesome playing guitar. He is the right guy to take your guitar to without hesitation.
            ~ JT ~
            1993 Jackson Stealth Professional / 1996 Jackson Performer PS4
            2002 BC Rich Warlock / 1989 BC Rich Gunslinger II
            1996 Fender Fat Strat / 1999 Fender 70's Reissue Stratocaster
            1996 Fender Precision Lyte Bass / 2002 Fender Jazz Bass
            1989 Aria Pro II XRB Lefthanded Bass
            www.wickedreputation.com
            www.astronautjonesnj.com

Comment

Thanks JT. I appreciate your vote of confidence in his work. What number are you using to call him?

Comment

I do have concerns about conflicting interests (makes his own guitar, doesn't want a competing brand playing as well as his own).
                Speaking as someone who builds his own guitars as well as doing work for others, repairs/refrets are a good way to maintain the proverbial revenue stream.

Sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully, I figured as much. In my case, I think the guitar just needs a little cleanup, definitely not a full refret.

Comment

I do have concerns about conflicting interests (makes his own guitar, doesn't want a competing brand playing as well as his own)
                    So much for you understanding the theory of "professionalism" and taking into account that even if a person didn't build the guitar, when they work on it their name is tied into the work done to it. Sure there's always exceptions to every rule but as a whole most professionals will do you a great job not only to develop referrals from the person having the work done, but to maintain their business reputation.
                    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

If it's their core business, pehaps. If repairs are not and new builds are, then not exactly. YMMV.

Comment

How many guitar builders have you met that didn't build their foundation doing set ups, pup swaps, and fret jobs?
                        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Working...
                        X