Intonation Tool for a Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation Tool for a Floyd Rose

I was on Floyupgrades and they sale a tool called [The Key] it makes setting up your intonation easier. I would like to know if anyone has used one and if it is worth $25 they want for it. Thank's

I have one, but find it is just as easy to loosen the string and change the saddle position. Maybe I have not used it enough, but with the string tensioned and then moving the saddle with the key, I find the pitch changing while I tighten up the saddle. I have set-up MANY Floyds and don't really find it that useful.

Comment

I have never seen the advantage of it because you need to loosen the string to get the allen wrench on to the screw in the first place, so its kinda a non issue at that point.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I think I paid $15 for mine? $25 would be too much.

Comment

I've used it just fine. Comes in handy only if you're doing OFR set-ups all day. Only fits OFR. Don't think it works on others.

Comment

Use still need to loosen the string before using this tool. The tool helps hold the current position of the saddle and then allows you to make a small adjustment. If you try to use the tool with the string at pitch, it won't work.

Comment

and to loosen the saddle, you must first loosen the string to get the allen wrench in there.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I have one but don't use it. Fiddling with placing the tool actually slows things down. Quicker method: visually note where the saddle is, then hold it in place with a screwdriver or whatever while tightening the screw.

Comment

Thank's for the info.

Comment

I bought one, it sits in the toolbox ignored.

Comment

It all depends how accurate you set intonation and how accurate your tuner is. Doing it by eye, with a stobe (accurate) tunner will be a slow process. The tool build is less than wonderful but the principle is good.

Comment

I've always just set a floyd rose up by moving the saddles & then tightening & retuning & rechecking the intonation, Takes a while but it works for me..
                        Stew-Mac sells the tool for $14.95 & I doubt you could do it any quicker or better with or without it IMO.. Here's the link to the tool, Read the reviews there..
                        http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...st=3&xsr=29519

Comment

Originally posted by WRC View Post
                          I've always just set a floyd rose up by moving the saddles & then tightening & retuning & rechecking the intonation, Takes a while but it works for me..
                          Stew-Mac sells the tool for $14.95 & I doubt you could do it any quicker or better with or without it IMO.. Here's the link to the tool, Read the reviews there..
                          http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...st=3&xsr=29519

That is the tool this thread is about...

Comment

have one. great concept, poor execution. ok when you need to shorten the scale, about pointless when you need to lengthen. maybe some knurls or some sort of traction on the knob would work better.

but this is from using it with the string tension in place, which is how I believe it is intended for use... otherwise, what's the point?

if I had to choose again, I'd get an electronic string winder to make it easier to do it the regular way.

Comment

I dunno....Makes my life a whole lot easier when I use the tool.

To each his own I suppose....

Comment

Working...
                              X