pick guard sticker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick guard sticker

hello all. im have trouble removing the three way selector switch on my so-cal. i want to remove the plastic that was left under it from the pick guard sticker. this isnt my guitar but its a pic to show you what it looks like.

Last edited by 213; 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM.

They make a special tool that you can use or you should be able to unscrew with some pliers. Stew Mac probably sells what you need.

http://www.stewmac.com/

Comment

Stew-Mac does sell a special tool that "MIGHT" work for that type of switch, It's made for a Les Paul or SGs switch available here..
      http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wr...ch_Wrench.html
      I use a set of rubber padded robogrip pliers myself being carefull to only grasp the nut portion & not the switch or the washer, You might also want to remove the rear covers screws & hold the back side of the switch while doing this.. BE CAREFULL, Don't scratch anything..
      You could also put a few layers of masking tape on the ends of a normal set of pliers teeth & be very gentle & get it off fairly easily..
      Last edited by WRC; 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

thanks alot for your help guys. i might buy that tool instead of risking it with pliers. i will post some pics when i set it up.

Comment

Before you use pliers, put a piece of electrical tape on each end of the pliers so you won't scratch the switch nut.
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

This should work and it's cheaper

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wr...i_Spanner.html

Comment

Wow, they make tools for that? I just go to town with a pair of pliers.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Go with what you know...

Comment

The three way on my SoCal was on tight too. I got it off by turning the pot on the inside of the pickguard about a 1/8 turn, just enough to get the nut holding it down on the outside turning. I was then able to unscrew it by hand.

Comment

Be careful when you tighten it back up. The metal from the toggle switch (on the inside of the cavity) cannot touch the side of the cavity or it will short the switch. The paint inside is shielding paint. Also, make sure no metal touches any other metal or you may get a short, too. Hard to explain but I had to fiddle with the switch and make sure everything was just so to avoid a "scratchy" switch. When you retighten, it's easy to turn the switch too far so it touches the wall and the metal bends and everything shorts out. Like The Offspring says, you gotta keep 'em separated.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Working...
                    X