Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Star Project

Hi guys,

I have found a shop selling a brand new Charvel Star (SD'78, strat headstock, shazam graphic, see below, 2005??) at a very reasonable price (cheaper than a brand new Japanese Pro-Mod) and was wondering if it would be possible to fit one of the USA/Japanese pro-mod necks and a FR to it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I had this done to one of the bullseye reissue LEs a few years ago. No need to swap the neck, per se. The existing one can be mod'd for the Floyd nut. Same with the body routing for the Floyd bridge, and shimming the neck for the correct neck angle.

It is NOT an easy mod - definitely not something for the amateur hack to attempt. I would only recommend it if done by a professional with experience doing this specific type of job. It is easily screwed up, if not all done properly. Also, it ain't exactly going to be cheap. There's a fair bit of labor involved.

You might be better off just following Ebay and waiting around to score one of the mid-2000-ish pointy reissue Stars that came OE with a Floyd. I prefer the neck profile on the pointyhead necks, anyway. And, in the end, it'll likely be cheaper than buying the lightning and paying for the mod work.

Good luck, either way.
    Last edited by shreddermon; 11-23-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advice Shreddermon! I guess I will have to keep an eye on eBay for one of the pointy ones then. Not easy to find one of those here in Europe but it looks like it is clearly worth the wait. Cheers

Comment

No prob, glad to help.

Yeah, the Stars aren't necessarily easy to find. But resale on them isn't great, so some good deals can be had.

Comment

Working...
        X