• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size Brass Block

For a top mount OFR. This is going on the KnE Body Star project
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

I think 37mm is for Non=recessed OFRs, and 42mm is for thick arch tops. So you'd need a 37mm.

Comment

Depends. 37mm or 42mm can be used for non-recessed Floyds. All the old Charvel Model series that had the JT6 used 42, and they were not archtops. My '05 Charvel Star used 37.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Guys I think ill just snag a 37 and be done with it.
        Haters gonna hate
        Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Top mount OFR had 42mm stock. 37mm were used for a recess.

Comment

Originally posted by sixstringer View Post
            Top mount OFR had 42mm stock. 37mm were used for a recess.
            No, typically 32mm are used for a recess. Did you read my post about the '05 Charvels using 37 and being non-recessed?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

32mm typical in recessed(some oddballs are 34mm)and 37mm or 42mm in non recessed,it can depend on the guitar though. Just what I have dealt with.

Comment

Listen to axmann, for he knows of what he speaks!
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by axmann View Post
                  32mm typical in recessed(some oddballs are 34mm)and 37mm or 42mm in non recessed,it can depend on the guitar though. Just what I have dealt with.
                  I just upgraded my Floyd recessed and it took the 32mm. I can't speak of the other sizes but you can rule that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by axmann View Post
                    i agree. the thing to remember is, once the block is in place and the springs are hooked on, the springs have to lay parallel to the body. they can't be on an angle. so it's going to be either 42mm or 37mm. otherwise, if the springs are hooked on an angle, they may not sit right (too tall the cavity cover won't close and too low the springs will slip out). so it deoends on the guitar the depth of the spring cavity cut and such.

Comment

do you have a means to check with another FR you may have? a spare or one in another guitar you can take out?

all my non-recessed top-mounts are 42mm. that includes Strat, ESP, original Kramer. except for my EBMM, which is 40mm. all my other recessed are 37mm. the only 32mm I have are a Charvel and a Jackson, which are both recessed.

you should defintely be safe with 37mm, unless you just want to be sure to get every square mm of real estate filled with that brass. if you're not certain, check with one or all of the brass sustain block suppliers out there and ask. and if you're going with a big block (1/2" thick), be certain you have plenty of space in the cavity if you want to pull up - trust me on that.

Comment

Working...
                      X