Loud noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud noise

Ok so during my hardware color changeover, I ran into some electrical trouble.

Everything was fine until I changed the input jack and plate. Now there is bad noise. Can still hear the guitar faintly, and noise seems to disappear mostly when played. Doesn't matter where I touch the guitar, noise still rings.

I resoldered the jack multiple times. Pulled out my meter, and measured continuity between both sides of the jack. With the jack desoldered, no continuity between sides. Popped off the control plate, and measured no continuity on the other side of the input wires. Strange.

So I pulled the wire out, and replaced it with some speaker wire I had laying around, since I knew at the least, it couldn't be shorted out somewhere in the middle. Same problem. So now I'm wondering if it's a shielding issue with the original wire.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Make sure you wired the jack polarity correctly. If you wired it backwards, it will make all kinds of racket because the ground and hot on the guitar will be opposite of ground and hot on the input of the amp. Ive done this 2 or 3 times my self, it happens. Ground to sleeve, hot to tip.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I considered that, and turned it around for giggles, which gave me no sound at all. No noise, and no guitar.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Check your continuity between the ground of the jack and the string/bridge.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

That's great all over.

Comment

Are we dealing with a stereo jack or mono? Active or passive pickups?
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Mono, passive.

Comment

Possibly a dodgy input jack? It sound like a grounding/short kind of problem. Try it with the jack out of the guitar to make sure the cable is engaging the tip and ring properly and that the contacts aren't shorting somewhere.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I apologize for my lack of detail in my OP. I was quite hammered last night.

I did reinstall the original jack as well and had the same issue. I also tried what you suggested Hellbat and saw no issues at all.

I found continuity between the hot and ground in the input jack wire with the wire out of the guitar. I imagine I may have damaged the wire somehow by tugging on it or something, or perhaps just got unlucky with some subpar wire from the factory.

With the speaker wire I've got in there now, the problem is the same, but I assume that's because it's not coaxial.

Should I just buy some new coaxial wire and try again?

Comment

I don't think that's the problem, Axe. Something is definitely wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with the type of wire you used.
                    I'm guessing you have a short somewhere else or a solder connection that popped off (possibly from the same tugging force you mentioned.)
                    Check out the control cavity for anything out of the ordinary. Maybe a pic of the cavity would help?
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I checked all the wiring thoroughly, and saw no issues. The only thing that got "tugged" was the coaxial wire when I pulled the jack out. I tried taking some pictures but it proved impossible due to the shiny Rhoads pickguard, ambient light, and flash didn't help on or off.

Perhaps the volume pot? This model for some reason has 1 vol and 2 tones, unlike the 2 vol and 1 tone of every other Rhoads I've ever played. It did have a rarely intermittent issue when I first got it, where it would crackle a slight bit, and sometimes wouldn't be at full volume when turned up all the way. Turning it down and up a time or two fixed it, but I haven't had that issue but maybe 4 times since I bought it about 8 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X