"Creaking" Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Creaking" Floyd

I just saw a crazy deal on a DBZ Cavallo AB-FR. Cool looking guitar except for the ugly headstock. Anyway, everything seems to be in really good working order, except that (unplugged) when you use the Floyd up or down, it makes a creaking noise like a rusty door hinge. The noise is inaudible when plugged in, but I still don't care for it.

I would imagine a new set of springs might fix this, but I'm concerned that it could be something more of a pain, like a jacked-up knife edge on the Floyd.

Any suggestions? Should I buy this thing, or leave it on the wall for some other sucker?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Originally posted by Disturbing Manor View Post
    it makes a creaking noise like a rusty door hinge. The noise is inaudible when plugged in
    My Ibanez had a creaking tremarm and that bugger was at first unnoticable on amplification, but as time and use progressed it started to become audible
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Could be the locking nut not tightened enough. I'm talking about underneath the locks, the two philips head screws that actually secure it to the neck (or behind the neck if it's the old style mounted through the back of the neck). I had that weird problem on a neck once, it seemed to creak and flex a little too much, and it definitely was coming from the nut area whenever I used the Floyd, but tightening those screws got rid of it. If it still does it, you could always take the screws out, put a couple small toothpick slivers in there and tighten it more and see if it helps. Not sure if that's actually the problem on the DBZ, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Springs

It could also be that the Floyd BLOCK is installed backwards....the holes in the bottom of the block are angled a certain way and if installed in reverse it will cause this exact creaking problem....

I've discovered this on a couple of used guitars I bought over the years.

The problem is extrememly annoying and the only way to fix it is to disassemble the Floyd and turn the block around.
        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

i think it's just old springs. no biggy. if the block was backwards, usually it wouldn't hook onto the claws right. the angles makes it impossible to hook on. sometimes ppl use foam and stick it in the springs to get rid of the squeaky sound. that works too.

Comment

DBZ'z aren't all that old so old springs I don't think are the problem some springs rattle.If they do a piece of foam will stop it or slide some surgical tubing inside the springs that will cure the problem too.
            Creaking is usually a loose nut so check their first and tighten the mounting screws.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Bro I just had the same issue 2 hours ago on my Warrior. I removed the strings, and loosened the 2 screws holding the nut down and re-tightened them. I put a new set of strings on and it stopped. It turns out that 1 of the screws was just a slight bit looser than the other. I gave it a 30 minute run and it has yet to happen again. Give it a try, it should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
              X