Floyd Rose Special review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Special review

So my RR5FR is my favorite axe in the shed. However, I found it horribly fugly in black with all black hardware. In fact, twas my intent before I bought it to swap out the hardware.

Well it's finally done. All gold. Yay.

Being the cheap bastard that I am (I did get the Rhoads via MF blowout...) I opted to try out a Floyd Rose Special. Specs state that it's exactly the same as an OFR, only with zinc saddles and sustain block.

So before it even went into the guitar, I threw on a Floydupgrades.com 32mm L block.

After getting it setup, and breaking in the new strings, she was ready for a full test drive.

Guess what. I've nothing to say. It's a Floyd. Stays in perfect tune. Feels amazing. Pepsi challenge that shit.

Off topic, but I do notice a thicker tone, which I'll attribute to the brass block. Much thicker in fact. Elephant nuts on a rooster to be exact.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
    Guess what. I've nothing to say. It's a Floyd. Stays in perfect tune. Feels amazing. Pepsi challenge that shit.
    So does the Takuechi
    it actually takes a real shitty double locked trem to get fucked up, so it's no surprise a FR special/OEM/LE/whatever keeps in tune
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Lol

Comment

which brass block for the fr special? do you have the measurements for the base plate screws?

Comment

Originally posted by shinobizx View Post
          which brass block for the fr special? do you have the measurements for the base plate screws?
          FR Specials have the same screw spacing for the base plate screws as OFR.

Comment

thats good to know i just bought a strat with a floyd special, havent gotten it yet. did know if i'de want to replace the floyd or not but it was cheap.

Comment

I agree with the OP. I also played MR save a buck and too the chance on a gold floyd for a usa charvel pro mod. and when comparing it to the MIK floyd it replaced there is No difference! I paid $80 for the FRS in gold and was expecting a lesser trem,but i was dead wrong!
              I a sure the metals used are not as good as the OFR but for the $100 saving i can say i regret going with the special,i ordered another for my DK2 import to replace the 580lp

Comment

we want to see your guitar!!!!!

Comment

That's not a review by anyone's standard. Just saying :P
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                    So does the Takuechi
                    it actually takes a real shitty double locked trem to get fucked up, so it's no surprise a FR special/OEM/LE/whatever keeps in tune
                    I had a DK2 that didn't hold very well. The Takuechi in my Dinky XL didn't hold tune very well either, but this could have been from age and wear. I ended up swapping it for an OFR.

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
                      I had a DK2 that didn't hold very well. The Takuechi in my Dinky XL didn't hold tune very well either, but this could have been from age and wear. I ended up swapping it for an OFR.
                      No issues with the Takuechi in my KE3.

Comment

The licensed trems seem to be hit or miss. For licensed trems I've owned it's mostly a miss. D'oh

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          That's not a review by anyone's standard. Just saying :P
                          i was also looking for a "review"

that said, this is a review btn german made fr and korea fr (which i think it's the fr 1000 series) but it applies to the fr specials:
                          http://dellus.net/tag/floyd-rose-tremolo/

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
                            i was also looking for a "review"
                            I'll be doing a full review on the Gotoh GE1996T shortly. It's a very impressive piece of machinery and I plan on tearing it down so everyone can see all the nooks and crannies for themselves. lol
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

heard good stuff about the gotoh. heard some prefer it over fr... never tried it though. looking forward to your review (not only about the mechanics but also the tone and playability).

Comment

Working...
                              X