Stripped strap button hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped strap button hole

My LPCs forward strap button hole was stripped. Somehow, the hole was almost 3/16ths. So I drilled it out to a symmetrical 3/16ths and doweled it likewise and also wood glued the dowel. It was a tight fit(very, had to tap it in with a significant amount of force), and while Im sure after the glue dries and I redrill the proper sized hole for the strap button screw, it will hold, I have some concern.

How likely is it that the wood the dowel is made of(unknown to me) will strip again easier than the Mahogany will? Im thinking of covering the dowel with black nail polish and relocating the strap button a bit closer to the neck(the guitar had a bit of neck dive when I used my Planet Waves locking strap on it, the new models dont have the hinge anymore).

Any suggestions, pointers from anyone? I usually just toothpick a stripped strap button hole, but it only got me by in this case, Ive never done this the proper way before, never had to.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Screw it(no pun intended). I drilled a new hole closer to the neck. It hangs better now with the Planet Waves strap lock strap. Now I gotta find that nail polish, time to raid the wifeys stash.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Same thing I would have done Twitch.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Just saw this now, but there's no real way to know the answer to your question if you don't know what wood the dowel was made of. Could be softer. One thing to remember, though, is that if your glue joint is too tight, you may have too much glue squeezeout and be left with not enough glue where you want it. Yes, it should be snug, but not too tight.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
        X