Floyd Rose springs resonating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose springs resonating

Hello, I have a question regarding my latest floyd rose setup. I tried the search and got nowhere. I have a Charvel USA San Dimas style 2.

I leveled my bridge and set the action the way I want it and all is good except one small issue.

Now whenever I fret a C anywhere on the neck I get resonating from the springs. I have three springs in the cavity and I am in standard tuning. What are some methods to get rid of this, do I need to remove a spring?

Thank you
    Last edited by DRH; 11-12-2011, 08:23 AM. Reason: typo

A little bit of foam rubber under the springs usually solves the problem. The foam from a pickup box works well, or you can get foam weather stripping that has adhesive on one side to hold it in place.

Comment

Or twist one of those elastic hairbands around the springs
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

If money is no option, the noiseless springs from Floyd Upgrades work wonderfully. Might as well grab a brass block and claw while you're at it. Just saying....
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Steve Vai used to put pipe cleaners inside the springs. I've also heard of people using tissue paper or Q-tips.
          I used to just put a piece of thin foam on top of the springs and then put the cavity cover on.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I put a small rag between the springs and the body.
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Do you have other springs that you can use to replace the current ones? You could try adjusting the trem to tilt back a little if it's flush with the body or vice versa. Any change in tension might make it stop resonating...

Comment

Use a small piece of clear,flexible tubing. They have it at any hardware store. 3/16 diameter. Cut them to the spring length and insert them in all springs. Clean, easy, looks nice and works.

Comment

Pickup box foam under the springs. "Messy", "clean" who really gives a fuck?
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cotton balls jammed under the springs can work in a pinch as well.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Ive used the grippy stuff you put in the bottom of drawers and bubble wrap to kill the resonating of the springs.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I just rap mine with electrical tape.
                        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

On second thought, that resonating may be blues rock chatter. You may want to keep it like that.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I know one cat that uses rubber tubing and puts it INSIDE the springs. the 'noiseless' springs are pretty much normal springs with a coating on them. you might be able to find them for less than $10 for 3.

has anyone else caught on that it just seems to be happening on a C note? that's the part I find interesting.

Comment

One word: Jell-o.
                              The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X