Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of sustain

Hey,

I've noticed my SL2H has a lack of sustain on the B and high E strings from the 12th to the 19th frets or so. Sustain drops to about 3 seconds at the 15th fret on the B, and seems to be at the worst, around 1s, on the 18th fret, the F. It's quite bad on the 13th fret of the E string as well (and also the 22nd on the G, but I'm guessing this might just be because the string length is so short at this point). I'm not sure it this is just a resonant deadspot on the guitar, or maybe a fret and/or trussrod issue.
    I tried raising the action, and unlocking the nut, and neither made any difference. When I first got the guitar, it was like new, and bending around these positions would have a slight 'grinding' feel to it, which I was told was just the frets wearing in.
    Also, if I pull up on the trem, notes on these two strings beyond the 12th fret are killed dead.
    I'm wondering if either a brass sustain block or a fret level is in order?
    Also, has anyone had any dealings with Gary Brawer in San Francisco and can recommend his work?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM.
    My other signature says something funny

Make sure the trem is not resting too far back. You may need to loosen the springs slightly to bring the trem back up to level. If it's fretting out on pullbacks your action may be a little low as well.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks, but the trem is parallel to the body so far as I can tell. The action is low, but not as low as some I've heard of here. The pulling back on the trem isn't so much an issue in itself - i rarely do it - but I thought it might have a bearing on the overall issue of lack of sustian.

Comment

sounds like the action is too low and the strings are fretting out. try raising the bridge just a tiny bit, go in small increments until it changes.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Could be because Jackson doesn't make real neck through guitars.

Just saying.....
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Having the trem parallel to the body doesn't mean it's set at a proper level. It should actually be parallel to the neck angle. This will generally be tilted forward slightly on a top mount Floyd vs a recessed one.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
              Could be because Jackson doesn't make real neck through guitars.

Just saying.....
              ya know. I forgot about that.

thus, no blues rock chatter to be found.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Where did this blues rock chatter thing start?
                USA Jackson RR1
                Charvel Model 6
                Jackson Performer-2
                Orange Dark Terror
                EVH 5150 LBX
                Hello Senòr

Comment

The trem and action does sound too low. If it frets out when pulling up the bar then what's the use of a recessed floyd? You've already forgone the blues rock chatter as already highlighted. Your action needs to be higher on a recessed floyd to make full use of it I reckon otherwise get a surface mount.

The thing that happens to me is that the highest frets (19-22/24) do not wear as quickly as the others. So I have to get these ground down every so often when I get the frets dressed, as otherwise notes buzz halfway down the neck and its a real note killer on higher frets, especially those that get played alot around 15-17. Check to see if your highest frets aren't still brand new compared to the adjacent ones. If its killing notes on the very highest frets, it could be pickup height choking off the notes, you want a couple to three millimetres or so between string and pole at highest note.

To get the ultimate sustain I reckon you need a 1" thick, Collen style neck and a tight neck pocket on both sides. The tight pocket can cause finish cracks in latter years and some say that a 1" neck is unplayable but its worth it I reckon. But there is no set formula, its another voodoo.

Neck thru superior reasonance is also a myth I reckon. Its more a fret access thing.

RE the Chatter, it is a blues rock energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together and it is actually harder to tap into on recessed floyd guitars. Or it is a Nigel Tufnel like concept that has been snowballed by the wry, piss taking sense of humour of Tonemonster, Devotee el al who really put it on the map. Kind of depends whether you like recessed floyds or not really.
                  Last edited by ginsambo; 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM. Reason: Perpetuating more ignorance.
                  You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Check how straight the neck is too. Do you change strings regulary? Old strings don't resonate, and sometimes you can get a bad string out of a new pack/box. Everyone else has sound advice also, I'd check it all.
                    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Raise the bridge a little or adj the pick ups, too close = no sustain.
                      FWIW neck thru guitars lack the sustain of a bolt on.That is JMO mind you YMMV.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Raise the bridge a little. Full floaters need to be a little higher than a fixed bridge guitar.

Comment

Thanks guys. I tried lowering the pickups and raising the bridge - neither helped. I think I might take it in to get a proper setup.
                          Last edited by Cliff; 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Yea, sounds like maybe you need a fret level.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieTerry84 View Post
                              Where did this blues rock chatter thing start?
                              It all started in this now legendary thread:
                              http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/122...ds-on-floyd-s-!
                              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
                              X