DIY Fret Leveling Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Fret Leveling Tools

Anyone have any advice on how to make your own fret leveling tools?
    Can't really justify the cost of the Stew Mac stuff since I only have 1 guitar.

I just want to level and crown & polish.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Get a bastard file, a mill file, and a 3 corner file.
    Then get lots of sandpaper.
    Actually, if you watch the fretting videos I posted, I give you a few tips on tools you can DIY.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, thanks. Actually, your fretwork part 1 video is what inspired me to have the confidence to do this myself.
      Are there specific grits I need?
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Yep! 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 0000 grade steel wool, and chrome polish if you feel like gettin' crazy and buffing them out.

Sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

A Youtube user named "smbstressfest" has a 20 part series on refretting a Fender Strat. It's at least two hours long. He goes over a lot of different aspects related to doing fret work. If anything the videos offer too many details and explanations. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tka_BQ_tl1U

Stew Mac has some videos and descriptions of the various tools you will need. I'd check there as well...

Comment

These are what I still use. They work great. Only thing I bought was the crowning file and the sanding pads but you don't technically need either of them. Just the 3 corner file and sandpaper on a finger.. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/110...rk.?highlight=
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I remember that thread, warlok. What are the supplies you got there? I really want to get the stuff together and give this a shot.

Sully, I have a set of needle files and a 3-sided file, but not sure if they are the right courseness (is that the right term?) What do I look for in a bastard file and mill file (don't have either of those and really don't know what they are!)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Bastard file is more coarse, mill file is finer. You can get either of them at any home improvement store.

Sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had an old aluminum level in the garage and some aluminum bars (don't know what they were from) that I lapped flat on a surface plate at work. I took one of the bars and notched it with a really coarse bastard file thicker than the frets for the gauge to check straightness of the board. Bought the micro-mesh pads on ebay for like $10 shipped. Rolls of 320 and 400 grit I got at work but they're cheap to buy. Crowning file off ebay for $50 (lucked out on that..). I've done the Soloist Pro and the Soloist Custom, both came out great. Gonna do my Model 6 soon.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Nice!
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Mainly you need a notched straightedge of some sorts and then a very flat long beam and a very flat short beam and some 320 stickit and a crowning file, and I really think that the dolphin-shaped diamond file is worth it (though it is $$) if you will use it a lot or if you will do stainless steel frets because it is SO EASY to get a great crown without worry of marring the board.

After that to clean them up I just use 800/1500/2000 and some polish. One strip of masking tape on either side of the fret I'm doing while I sand, and move down the board, taking the same 2 strips of tape with me. You can mask the whole thing and it's a good idea but typically I don't.

Comment

Good DIY notched straightedge can be made from a drafting square. That's what I did.

Sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                          Good DIY notched straightedge can be made from a drafting square. That's what I did.

Sully
                          Thats exactly what I did!
                          "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

All these ideas are great and i have used some of them. I will say, the diamond file from Stew Mac is well worth the money. It is almost idiot proof. . . . It is definately Lou proof.
                            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Lou, you don't know me well enough....nothing is idiot proof!

Comment

Working...
                              X