Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock refin q

Dear paint gurus,

I am considering having a guitar refinished and the headstock is also in need of some paint. Problem is that is has the pearl inlaid jackson logo. Is it possible to save the logo? What do you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Hard to say without a pic. So.....possible!
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've never seen a source for those logos, but I'll be interested to see what others chime in with. My guess is you'll have to settle for a basic one-color vinyl logo.

Comment

I'd venture to say you could mask it off, then use some fine paper on your fingertip to knock off the paint edges, and then just go heavy with clear afterwards. At least that's what I do on cars.
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

The issue is clear coat cracks around the tuners. There is no damage near or on the logo itself. I've read on another board that some apply a chemical to loosen the glue that holds the pearl in place and then remove the inlaid bits before painting. What do you think?

Thanks again all!

Comment

You could always ask Augustin01
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

They're only a veneer from what I've been told, not actually inlaid. I don't see how you'd be able to remove and reuse the one you have. I've been trying to find a source for a pearl logo for quite a while. Want to refin my 93 Soloist Custom headstock that the logo is 1/4 gone. But to no avail so far. Make sure you post up if you find one..
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CELLULOID-...-/130561212789

Maybe something like this? At 0.7mm its still quite thick. Maybe source some thinner stuff and use a scalpel to trace around a Jackson Logo?
                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  You could always ask Augustin01
                  yes, good answer. maybe its possible to saw the logo from the head stock and burn it with a torch.
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

You might want to shoot an email over to Mike Learn in case he doesn't read this. Since he's an authorized Jackson repair shop, he might have access to things that others won't.

Or, use this as opportunity to have the painter do an artistic take on the Jackson logo to match the theme you are going for. I've seen some cool variations over the years

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                      You might want to shoot an email over to Mike Learn in case he doesn't read this. Since he's an authorized Jackson repair shop, he might have access to things that others won't.

Or, use this as opportunity to have the painter do an artistic take on the Jackson logo to match the theme you are going for. I've seen some cool variations over the years
                      If I was stateside I would love to have Mike do a graphic or something, but I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars to ship a guitar all the way across the atlantic then back. The idea of having someone do a logo is a good, let me thinkle about that one.

Comment

If your only issue is cracks around the tuner holes, why not just stabilize them with some medium viscosity CA glue, then sand it flat?

Sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                        X