Brass Nut Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Nut Questions

I have an old POS Arbor star that I bought, because it looked just like my first electric (you guessed it, and Arbor star). Long story short it needed a new nut. Figured I'd go with a pre-slotted Tusq XL, to make it easy, but none of them had narrow enough string spacing....so, I went and dug the remnants of my first Arbor star, and popped the brass nut off of that. A little cleanup, and Elmer's glue, and I'm in business! Being brass, what is the best thing to lube the slots with?

Thanks!
    Pat

Graphite.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I'll give it a shot. The slots are really shallow and wide, like the slots in a tune o matic saddle, so I'm not sure how well anything will stay.

Thanks!

Comment

If you can fit a thin mechanical pencil lead in the slots, just draw back and forth into each slot a few times.
        If not, you can always crush the lead into a fine powder (or buy it in powder form) and pour it into the slots.
        You don't need much, as graphite is very slippery.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Did the mechanical pencil trick, and worked like a charm.

Thanks!

Comment

Awesome, good to hear!
            Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
            X