How to Make Your Own Radiused Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Make Your Own Radiused Blocks

I tried to make radiused blocks a few times over the summer. Each time I needed more tools to do a better job. I finally have everything I need to do it so I decided to document the process. Lots of other considerations, but here are some pictures to give you a general idea how this is done.

Pics of the setup in use:

:

Pic of it after sanding:

Last edited by Trussrod; 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM.

Very cool! And ingenuitive. Nice Job..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I want to replace the inlays in a Les Paul and it's easier if you pre-radius the replacements. A 4" block like that would be handy.

Comment

Hey, nice!

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Let me know if this sounds like a stupid idea, but I was just thinking it would be cool if you could use a 4x4 and create a different radius on each side, sort of like the radius gauge?

Comment

Very cool indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Let me know if this sounds like a stupid idea, but I was just thinking it would be cool if you could use a 4x4 and create a different radius on each side, sort of like the radius gauge?
              I think that would be awful to hold onto while working....the corners would wind up like wooden knife blades I would imagine...
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I think it would be more than four times as much work and the end result might not be as useful as a thin block with one or two radii. People often put their fingers and thumb against the neck they are radiusing to make sure the block and neck are parallel. That might be more difficult with a four inch thick piece of wood.

Comment

Working...
                X