Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I block the tremolo, shoudl I get a brass big block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I block the tremolo, shoudl I get a brass big block?

Hi All,

I'm planning on blocking my tremolo. The way I'm going to do it, is to put a piece of wood between my stock Gotoh brass block and the body. The piece of wood will be the size of the block. Taking this into account....would getting a brass big block make a difference? Or is it just a waste of money...

My take on the big block is that it's for floatng tremolos....

dinyguitar

Sure. You'll sleep easier.

Comment

I brass blocks are usually bigger. If you are going that route get the brass block first because you will more than likely have to redo it it you change it. I've blocked 2 guitars off and it made a hude difference in the sustain of the guitar. More fo the string vibrations are transfered to the body.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

84sups,

Did you block it with the big brass block? Or with the original block? And how did you block them?

dinkyguitar

Comment

I just glued a piece of poplar in the cavity. Original 43mm trem block on the OFR
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

I did this once, but only because I had one lying around and frankly don't care for them in fully floating setups (they can rob you of some pullup range).

Comment

No. As a matter of fact, I don't think brass blocks are necessary on any guitar. I put four FU brass blocks on four different guitars with OFRs. My take is that it sounds different, but not "better" and the change is slight at best. Also, like Larry mentioned they limit pull up range in fully floating setups. People had great tone with Floyds many years before the whole block upgrade thing kicked fully in gear. It's just more internet prompted minutia that is overblown IMO.

Comment

Just remember that sustain is inversely proportional to blues rock chatter. Also, if you go with the brass big block, you might want a warmer wood like koa or African ribbon mahogany for blocking the trem. I usually go with the tungsten block, cocobolo to block the trem, and titanium saddles (except for Graphtecs on the G & B, of course). It's a bit of a compromise, but it's the only combo I've found that yields tight low end, passable double-stop bends, and the ability to pull off the shrill "meow" lead lines from Cat Scratch Fever, which is a must for me.

Comment

"Cocobolo Blocks" was my nickname back in high school
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

more mass = more tone.

the FRs have always had brass sustain blocks, but the ones more of us know are just plated. even FR is selling bigger brass blocks these days, as well as tungsten and now titanium. I've been putting larger brass blocks in several of my guitars and there's a definite increase in sustain.

but to the orignal question, sure you can get a brass big block. the worst that'll happen is you'll change how you block the trem. or you can drop $25 on a trem stopper. but putting some wood in there will just increase the surface that the vibration will pass through and should given better results. you can also determine your clearance and see if you can get a brass block that will fill the void all the way. KGC has 3/4" blocks, most places have 1/2" and there's a dude on ebay named guitarupgradesthat will even make custom thickness.

it's your guitar to do with as you want, so trick it out if you want to and see what works best for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X