Neck Crack Repair, Sully, anyone.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Crack Repair, Sully, anyone.....

Surley you can give me some pointers o' reattacher of headstocks. My problem isnt to this severity, but I figured if anyone can tell me how to fix a very slight crack in the neck it would be you.

The crack in the neck is very close to the neck joint as shown here, sorry for the bad pic

When putting forward pressure on the neck the crack can only be opened slightly, you cant see wood, but theres enough room I think to get a small needle in there with some thinned wood glue. I have to put a good deal of force on it to open the crack, but with the arrival of the LPC, no where near the force it takes on that guitar to detune the strings.

The guitar plays fine and the actions fine. The neck doesnt bow under the tension of the strings either. So really, the only reason Im even mucking around with it is in the chance it may take a hit to the neck again in its travels(seems to be happening a lot lately). Sure I could leave this guitar at home and play it and never have a problem with it, but its so nice looking otherwise that Id like to gig it and know if it takes one more hit it would survive.

Heres my questions:
    1. Whats the the thinning ingridient I need, whats the best wood glue to use, and what proportion of glue to thinner?
    2. What size needle is typically used for this kind of repair and where would I find one?
    3. How much glue should be applied?
    4. Once glue is applied, exactly how should I clamp it down and for how long?

Thanks in advance.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Jeez, that musta taken quite a hit. Truth be told, I don't specialize much in repairs, but you've got the general idea in that you'll need to open the crack, get glue in there, then clamp it.

I'd recommend wood glue (but I don't think I'd thin it) or hot hide glue, which will probably penetrate better. That said, using hot hide glue is an art form.

You can get a medicine syringe and a medium sized glue tip to help you get the glue in there; get enough in there, and have a damp paper towel handy to dab away the squeezeout.
    As far as clamping goes, you'll need to make yourself some kind of jig; there's stuff called Friendly Plastic that can be of help to make clamping cauls and such. Leave it clamped 24-48 hours; you don't really need more than 24, but it's not going to hurt.

After you undo the clamps, you'll want to clean up the dried glue, and attend to the finish. A few coats of lacquer and you'll be ok.

I can recommend an amazing guy to send it to if you choose not to DIY that.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think I can handle this one on my own. Thanks for the tip Sully. Yeah, it looks to be like it fell over backwards into something at some point. Its a good 8 to 10 lb guitar, so Im sure it could gather some momentum over a short distance. Im almost think putting it in a press would be the way to go with this one because of where the cracks at. Its almost right on the neck joint so the heel is in the way and it seems that spot is somewhat of a fulcrum point. I could rest the guitar at the nut, strings down with some firm padding so the guitar is slightly perpendicular to whatever flat surface its laying on, and apply a small downward force at the neck joint to put pressure in the crack, just like if I were manually pushing back on the neck with my hands. Then leave it that way for a couple of days.

So, now Ive gotta find a syringe and a glue needle. Thats going to be the hard part, opening the crack enough to get the glue in. The crack in the finish really doesnt open very far.

Comment

Twitch, here is how I fixed my neck crack.

I got some titebond wood glue, took a drink straw, or cocktail straw, and I put it int he glue, and sucked up some glue into the straw, then I took my fingers and collapsed the end of the straw and slide it into the neck crack and pushed the glue out of the straw with my fingers. I made sure there was enough glue in it, then I clamped it with those big bar clamps with the rubber protecters on the jaws. you can use any type of clamp but just make sure you got something soft on the jaws so it dont marr the finish. hope this helps you.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post

So, now Ive gotta find a syringe and a glue needle.
          You can get by with a baby medicine syringe and glue tips. You can probably get the syringe for free at a pharmacy.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Been doing some research other places and it seems as neck cracks go, mine is totally a minor one. Starting to make me wonder again if it is cracked at all and just some less rigid wood. Maybe I should take it to someone to look at it first that knows what theyre looking at. Im looking at the pics of people opening the crack up to put the glue in and theres no way I could get the crack open that far without fully releasing the truss rod if not totally removing it. Thats how narrow that crack in the finish opens up when I torque the neck. I could maybe get a few fine sewing needles in there to hold it open, but that I think would even be tight. Theres no way tooth picks are going to fit in the crack.

Comment

Take it to Guitar Works in Greenwood, Twitch. I've had Deric work on my stuff and he does good work.

Comment

There is only one way you could get a crack like that in that location without having collateral damage elsewhere; someone was trying to bend the neck to do Floydless bends.

Picture a couple of young punks in a GC. There are bending this Epi as far as they can dive bomb it. All of the sudden they hear a SNAP! They quietly put it back on the rack and hightail it out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  There is only one way you could get a crack like that in that location without having collateral damage elsewhere; someone was trying to bend the neck to do Floydless bends.

Picture a couple of young punks in a GC. There are bending this Epi as far as they can dive bomb it. All of the sudden they hear a SNAP! They quietly put it back on the rack and hightail it out of there.
                  Fuckin Floyds. to blame again.

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

THat's a Les Paul? Those necks can crack just by looking at them wrong, especially the headstock. :-)
                    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Working...
                    X