Volume and Tone Pots for my SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume and Tone Pots for my SL2H

Not to ask more questions, but I did a search and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

For whatever reason my SL2H has always had somewhat of a scratchy volume pot from day one (2007). Now, its become practically unusable, randomly spiking higher in volume as you turn the pot DOWN sometimes. Thats in addition to the scratchy noises. Obviously its dirty but I was thinking about just getting a new one because even IF I can clean it, thats only a temporary fix. Since SL2Hs have a 250k tone, would it also be worth getting another 500k pot for that as well?

I want to try to avoid buying pots only to have them get all scratchy on me right away (I've had bad luck with this). What ones do you guys recommend?
    Last edited by groverj3; 10-14-2011, 06:07 AM.

I recommend you clean it. you can buy electronic cleaner for about $5. that pot can last years after its cleaned. try that first.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Yeah cleaning has never been an issue really. Lasts quite a while or even forever depending on how much use it gets and if it's covered...

But if you really do want to change it, Do you like the sound/tone as it is? Then don't change values. A 500K will sound brighter than the 250K in there now. I believe the USA's have CTS pots, and that's pretty much the good quality standard.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I removed a faulty sustainer from my CS SL1 and at the same time I replaced the 250K tone pot with a 500K.
        After playing around for a while and trying all kinds of settings on the amp I went back to the 250K tone pot,
        it just sounded better in that particular guitar.
        As allways it's a combination of the guitar, pickups and amp, but if you like the way it sounds now, just keep
        the values and go buy a new CTS pots.

Comment

Yeah, just buy and try some Deox-It on that pot.

As far as 250K vs 500K, do you sometimes wish you could turn the tone pot up a little more to add some brightness? If so, then go for 500K. If you never desire it to be brighter, then stay with the 250K.

Comment

Wow, I was sure that the pot was done. Sure enough, Radioshack had some Deoxit and that worked like a charm!

I swapped out the tone for a 500k, but I guess the JB didn't like that... waaay too much treble. I stuck the 250k back in. Guess it was a good project for the night. As always, the sage-like wisdom of the JCF is appreciated!

Comment

A JB can be a shrill pickup depending on what guitar its in so If you think its too bright a 300k vol pot will warm it up just a tech tip from me.
              Glad you fixed it up.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
              X