Gotoh Vintage Style Trem w/ 2 7/32" string spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh Vintage Style Trem w/ 2 7/32" string spacing

Thinking of using this on my new Star body build which started out as an alder Explorer body blank and which now has a killer myrtle cap on it too. I already have this trem unit sitting around. Going to route the trem cavity today, but leaving the mounting screw or stud holes undrilled til I make up my mind on this. My concern is that it seems that Schaller, Wilkinson, Charvel imports/Gotoh all seem to have 2 1/8" string spacing which is also the spacing of the 6 mounting screws so I might be redrillng those 6 holes in the future if the 2 7/32" bridge ends up not being a great fit with the neck and single hb at the bridge. Neck is Fender lic'd Mighty Mite and for the hb, I'd like to use a Gibson 500T. Scale is 25.5. I've got the same scale, neck, and hb on a Chandler superstrat body and the strings sit perfectly over the polepieces. Thing is, that the Chandler has a Schaller FR on it, which has the smaller, 2 1/8" string spacing. Maybe, I'm being totally anal but so far I've been really proud of how well this star body project is going and would love to finish it without any mystery holes drilled and filled. So, after all the preamble, the question is: do you think 3/32" add'l string spread across the bridge is a big enough deal that I really ought to consider dropping around $100 on a new 2 1/8" bridge? Thanks for wasting your otherwise empty day reading about my life or death issues : )

An f(ender)-spaced hb ought to be just the thing.

Comment

Hey, a fellow AZ desert dweller!
      From a technical standpoint, the string alignment over the pole pieces doesn't really matter much.
      I'd say if the spacing is really that big of an issue to you, you should probably get the bridge you want on there.
      No sense putting what you have on a custom build just because you already have it, only to be disappointed with the results.
      Last edited by DalyTek; 10-18-2011, 10:16 AM.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Thanks for the advice Dalytek!

Comment

Working...
        X