Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are control cavities so large?

Hi all.
    This is my first post so if I'm going about it wrong, please advise.
    Anyway, I'm building my first body, a Charvel star inspired design with just a hb at the bridge and the one vol control. Looking to my model 1 for guidance on the control cavity shape and wondering why the cavity is so large even though it only contains one pot. The cavity will be the final route and it seems to me that, with my luck in the course of hogging out all that wood, I'll probably bust the bearing on the bit. So why not only carve out a space just big enough for the pot, maybe a 2 inch diameter circle. Any thoughts as to why stock cavities with just a single control are so big? Reckon its just machining efficiencies at the factory?
    Thanks to any who reply!

Originally posted by MIB View Post
    Reckon its just machining efficiencies at the factory?
    That probably sums it up. The same rear control route on all pickup variations means only one backside routing template, then you just grab one of the stack and do the appropriate frontside route.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      That probably sums it up. The same rear control route on all pickup variations means only one backside routing template, then you just grab one of the stack and do the appropriate frontside route.
      yup.

Your Model 1 may only have one pot, but another guitar in the Model series had volume, tone, preamp pots & 3 mini toggles in the same cavity.

If you only need a 2" circle for the guitar you're building, do it!
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the rapid replies! I have done a bit of re-wiring and know it's nice to have room in there, especially if the wires are so short that you can't just pull the pot out from the cav. But this being a new build I can leave myself plenty of slack for now in a minimalist route. In a couple of years when the urge to mod comes along I can reroute for add'l controls then as needed. The question sounded kinda lame to me about a minute after I asked it so thanks for not razzing me about it. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          yup.

Your Model 1 may only have one pot, but another guitar in the Model series had volume, tone, preamp pots & 3 mini toggles in the same cavity.

If you only need a 2" circle for the guitar you're building, do it!
          Hold up. Let's not mislead the new guy.

I just took this pic to illustrate the differences between the cavity MIB is about to route and the larger route used in the bulk of the Model Series - including the Model 4 wiring harness as described by VitaminG.

These are two completely different routes, two completely different sizes, requiring two completely different covers. On the left find the cover for Models 1 and 2 only. On the right for every other model, except Models 1A, '86 3, and '86 3A (which have no backside control cavity at all). The photo clearly shows the sizable difference between the two control cavities used for the Model Series.

As for which you should choose, or whether you should ignore that and go really small - thereby preserving as much wood as possible, I think first you should work out how you're going to make this custom cover. Assuming you have a plan for the cover, then absolutely preserve as much wood as possible since it's merely an inspired by Charvel and not a literal replica of any particular model. Wood = tone. No substitute.

Food for thought. Good luck.

Last edited by modelseriesman; 10-05-2011, 12:38 AM.
          Mitch
          AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Thanks Mitch!
            The way things are probably gonna play out is that I'll use the smaller of the two shapes you presented, the one on the model 1. Main reasons being that it's what I see on all of the few photos I'm able to find online of the backside of a Charvel star and Because, since I've got the M1, I've got the cover from which to make a template. Also, knowing that it's the smaller of the two shapes makes me feel better about removing (only) that much wood. So I guess I've gone from looking for an excuse (router bearing) for being a logical designer (and lazy) to being a copycat (tribute builder) overnight. ; p
            By the way, the model 1 referenced is sitting pretty in the case you sold me a couple of months ago. Thanks for chiming in Mitch!

Comment

This is something I can answer definitively....I have some experience with a cavity like you describe....just big enough for a pot.

Below pic is of RR0051 and it's cavity. When I got this guitar the pot was bad so I replaced it.....IT WAS A REAL BITCH!! Took me over an hour and many tries to get right. There is just no room to maneuver in there...and no room for an unsteady hand when soldering. I think most manufacturers make the routs oversized is for uniformity of construction and also for ease of wiring. Remember in a manufacturing setting...time is money!

All I know is I hope I never have to wire in this cavity again!!
              Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Q: Why are control cavities so large?

A: (That's where you hide your stash)

Comment

@ Hellraiser6502: Jeez, yeah, I get it. A picture really is worth a thousand words. Sweet looking V though and totally worth the effort. Thanks for the visual.
                  @Evol: I so should have seen that coming. As a junior member I'm just gonna have to guess when it's ok to excuse myself from the thread I started and just let the forum lay on the punchlines. I'll go next : "It's not that the cavity is so large, it's that the knob thingy's so ... er, only 250k". Which reminds me to be on the lookout for a 2 or 3 meg vol pot just to see what it sounds like.

Comment

Evol
                    Q: Why are control cavities so large?

A: (That's where you hide your stash)

Evol: I so should have seen that coming
                    MIB,welcome to JCF ...nothing is sacred here

honestly even the top loaded RR's control cavities have no room at all to work on
                    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Thanks len.

Comment

Originally posted by len View Post

[/INDENT]

MIB,welcome to JCF ...nothing is sacred here

honestly even the top loaded RR's control cavities have no room at all to work on
                        Ummmm....you don't need any room to work in those....everything is mounted to the control plate!!

D'oh!
                        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

The gigantic Jackson control cavities are ridiculous. I have to give kudos to ESP over Jackson in that regard. ESP's "coffin" shaped cavity/cover is about perfect. Not too big, yet not too small either...plenty of room to work. Also, I have to say that ESP's wiring is a lot neater. It is literally a work of art.

Comment

like hellrasier, I have a few guitars with a single pot and a cavity just that big. the theory was to have as much wood as possible. when I've changed pups on those guitars, I just loosen the bolt, drop the pot out the back and have plenty of room to work before putting it back in... that's as long as there is enough lead wire to work with.

then again, look at all the wood routed out of Strats and LPs. people seem to like Jimi and Jimmy's tone. just do what works for you.

Comment

The control routes never really bothered me. Battery boxes do, very much.
                              I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
                              2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
                              Randall RG75G2
                              Line 6 PODxt

Comment

Working...
                              X