HELP! - Single higher notes held above 12th fret goes strobe-like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! - Single higher notes held above 12th fret goes strobe-like

Just got my Japan DK2L (lefty) back from the shop and it still makes a shrill, strobe-like waver sound when single notes are held on the three highest strings above the 12th. They adjusted the relief, string height, intonation and said it is ready to go. I can hear it do this and it's not cool. I'm running Boomer 9's, 1/2 step down. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking maybe something with the bridge saddles having groves or just junky Floyd Rose licensed tremolo?

What do you think?

First thought that comes to mind for me is adjusting the pickup height.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Like DaleTek, I'd be inclined to guess that the pickups are too close to the strings.

Does it sound weird when played acoustically?
      Last edited by Chad; 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Probably pickup height as suggested, and if you like really low action and your pups height is about optimal or can't really go any lower, jump up to 10's.
        Being that you are tuned down a little can be a good reason to jump up a gauge as well. Another cause can be worn frets, but even then moving up a string gauge can help.

Comment

OK, played around with the pickup height, it got better with the pickup down as far as it would go, and all pickups get this warble or stuttering effect. I hated the sound with the pickup buried that far down. I have tried different spots in the house, amps, no computer on, no fans on, but I do have big power lines close to my house. If I roll the tone down it seems to get better also, but none take it away totally. Next I will take it to a new location and try,... might be these power lines. Update to follow.
          Thanks for all the tips!

Comment

If it is from magnetic drag the suggestion to go with bigger strings (10's) might be a viable solution.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had a similar problem with my DK2 - but mostly isolated to the low E. Adjusting the single coil pups just about as low as they could go into the body cured it. But then, of course, as mentioned - the output from the singles was lower than I would like. So I compensated for that by installing an EMG Afterburner circuit for more output when I want it.

Those stock single coils on the DK2 have some serious magnets!

Comment

I hear this fluttering after the note is held and it is going into decay,... not the power lines like I hoped cause if I hold my ear against the guitar, I can hear it do it unplugged. Crappy tremolo or something in it? Anyone have one do this? I have muted the trem springs and it didn't change.
                I am ready to get of it, got a les paul coming! Love the fast neck though so I really want to make it work. Thanks again for the input guys!

Comment

yes - that is the same thing I had with my DK2. it was also next to impossible to intonate the affected strings. as i said - lowing the single coils as far as I could fixed it. it's the magnetic pull from the pickups on the strings. if you can't get it dialed in with the stock pups, but still want to keep the guitar, you might try some rail style pickups.

i didn't change mine out cuz i like their sound and was able to fix it by lowering them and then increase the output by installing a booster.

Comment

What makes the difference between guitars if it is the pickups, wouldn't every DK2 do this?
                    I just got a Les Paul and plugged it in and played it all over, no trouble spots anywhere, it sings to me, can hold a note forever, no waver - it's just the Jackson guitar.
                    Think I'll switch to all Les Pauls, thicker sound!

Comment

Did anybody else just basically read this?: "hey guys what's wrong?" "Pickup height" "no I don't think so, what else?" "Pickup height" "Nope im not even going to try that, jackson must suck, gibson guitars never have problems" lol
                      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

I have had a few of the DK2's and never had that problem.
                        The trem would not be the problem and no they aren't junk.I abuse the JT 580 trems all the time and never had one fail.
                        Sounds like if it does it acoustically maybe you need to check the neck to see if the neck plate is tight.
                        I did have one come in for a set up and had to replace the trem springs.The customer was complaining about the rattle it had and that can have sonic or warbling effect.
                        I replaced the electronics too and that was a huge upgrade tone wise.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                          Did anybody else just basically read this?: "hey guys what's wrong?" "Pickup height" "no I don't think so, what else?" "Pickup height" "Nope im not even going to try that, jackson must suck, gibson guitars never have problems" lol
                          Yeah thats the way I read his comment.
                          Gibson makes great guitars but to bash a whole line because he can't fix a minor issue himself.
                          Sounds like the old my friends says jacksons suck gibson is better line.
                          Last edited by straycat; 10-07-2011, 12:40 PM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I love Jacksons but if I can't play it, I don't love it that much. I had it in the shop so it isn't just me trying to fix it. Yes I did drop the pickups down as low as they will go and it helped but didn't solve the problem. Nobody seems to know,... just a bad guitar?
                            Neck is tight, running out of options, pickup swap? Would it really help?

Anyone would like a Les Paul that sings the notes over a guitar that tends to flutter the notes!

Comment

I think the ultrasonic reasonanting frequency of your body wood is clashing with the cosmically aligned wavelength medium of your neck. I put together a Kramer replica and it sings and sustains more than any gibson I've ever played...plus it has the advantage of note clarity that goes with a longer 25.5" scale.

Use 10's or Elevens or less powerful pickups. 009's detuned do tend to rattle around a lot! How does the guitar sound unplugged? Does it ring or just kind of go dead after a few seconds (With plenty of action). Is the truss rod adjusted so that it is just tight and not loose and rattling - tap the back of the neck is it clunking? Is anything else rattling or loose? Pup mounts? Back cavity? Something may be picking up on the frequency and reasonating it in an out of phase oscillation. Or it may be a bad guitar. There is still a lot to be said for trying out a guitar, unplugged in the shop...as wood matching is no exact science.

I don't think you can write off a whole manufacturer from one guitar experience. I have played some mighty dodgy expensive Gibsons in my time that suck!
                              Last edited by ginsambo; 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM.
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                              X